Step bumper and mounting trailer 'ball'

jerry_njAugust 22, 2005

I have a new pickup with a metal/crome step bumper. The flat top of the bumper has a rubber-like onlay, and it covers the hole in the metal that is there to take a trailer ball. It appears one just cuts the rubber away, to gain access to the hole.

Being this surface is very visible it would be best if one cut a very clean hole to maintain a clean appearance. Then too, the shoulder on the ball will cover any small roughness in the cut. Any advice on what to cut with?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_h

maybe a spade bit at a very slow speed.?

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 10:56PM
gary__

How about spring for a frame mounted hitch/receiver? Better hitch, saves your new bumper, pull a pin and remove the ball mount when your not using it. Cost you probably $200 if you bolt the thing up yourself.

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 11:07PM
cowboyind

I like that idea, too. If you pull from the bumper you're pretty limited on how much you can tow. The frame-mounted ones can pull up to whatever your truck's towing limit is.

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 12:17AM
christopherh

I towed a trailer ONCE using the bumper. Never again! It makes the truck squiggly and you lose a lot of control. Spring for the hundred bucks for a receiver. Any trailer you pull will be level and the control is there!

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 7:04AM
GoodOleBoy

If you dont really plan on using the trailer but just want add a ball for "just in case" use. I dont think a bumper hitch is that bad from what i have used ona small truck. If your towing 2000 lbs that should be fine.
I would try using a Dremel or even call the dealer and explain that to them that your factory equiped tow bumper is not cut out.

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 7:37AM
jerry_nj

Thanks, I did have a large receiver on my last pickup.

My use of the hitch is limited to towing an aluminum 16' fishing boat, not more than 1500 pounds. The turck is a new Chevy Colorade, 2WD (but with the great GM option of traction control and automatic locking differential, I look forward to seeing haw well that works as a substitute for light-duty 4WD needs) and the bumper isn't "too" high. I think I'll try the bumper and see how it goes (most trips are under 30 miles).

By the way, the "T" adaptor to get into the break/running/turn lights is great. The package was under $40 and was installed in under 15 minutes. I don't know when truck manufactureres started providing that connector near the rear, but it is a great improvement.

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
want to purchase new Car
Hi guys .i want to purchase new car but I am confused..need...
Bill Payday
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
Brake fluid flush
I've had new brakes installed in the past. However,...
africanboy
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Emergency Lighting Thermoplastic LED Exit Sign with Red
$27.72 | Home Depot
Satin Nickel Drip-Free Widespread Bathroom Faucet
Overstock.com
Outdoor Lighting. Jake Collection Wall mount 1-Light Outdoor Lamp
$73.80 | Home Depot
Verus Sports Chuck-A-Ball Ladderball Set - TG100BAG
$27.99 | Hayneedle
1-Light Wall / Bath Heirloom Bronze
$69.70 | PLFixtures