92 Camaro A/C with R12

mapesiiAugust 15, 2006

I have a 92 Camaro with R12 A/C system. When I got the car it had set for a while. The A/C works but not real effiecent. The compressor seems to cycle on and off way to often. I have not hooked up my gauges to it yet but my guess is it is a little low on R12 from the long sit. My question is I have seen a product called Freeze 12 an R12 substitute. Can this be used in my system and without doing a complete evacutation and recharge(mixing the two)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gary__

Don't think so. If it were me, I just take it in for service. Dispite all the horror stories about r-12 being $100 per pound, it only cost me maybe $20 more to have my r-12 system serviced a few years ago than had it had 134a. Maybe it's a regional issue. Maybe there's some shops trying to cash in. I know for a fact r-12 isn't hard to get.

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 8:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DNT1

Your vehicle will cool much better with the R12 that the system was designed for. And as stated above its not that expensive if the only problem is a low charge you may get off cheap at a shop. The Freeze12 is 80% or so R134a with I think 20% R142B. You are still supposed to have the epa cert 609 to purchase this stuff and if you get that heck I would just pick myself up some r12 if you wish to DIY. Mixing the two refrigerants will create a whole new blend Not Recommended

Bookmark   August 19, 2006 at 3:07PM
More Discussions
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
2006 vw beetle
I have 2006 beetle and almost have it paid for. I am...
rabbit8
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™