Because you guys are the best...I ask for your help

huskymaniacnyAugust 2, 2010

I just bought a used-new car. It is a 1996 Subaru SVX with 73K miles on it. It has some known issues and I plan to do what I can to avoid them. But one thing I noticed on a recent drive through the hills was that my temperature gauge fluctuated slightly. It never got high. It went from about 35% of full scale to about 45% of full scale. When I was climbing a hill it rose. When going down hill, it went down. I plan to check my fluid levels tonight and top off the coolant. What else should I look into or check?

Also, what is the best way to distinguish between bad wheel bearings and noisy tires due to abnormal wear from a misalignment?

Thanks again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

Since you have a car with unknown service history, it would be a good idea to perform a complete service on the car. That way, you will can start fresh with a new history.

I'm not sure how much change in coolant temperature is normal for your vehicle, but what you describe is beginning to appear a bit too much. However, if your weather is as hot as it is here, that may be normal.

1. Yet, I think it is a good idea to drain your coolant, flush and refill with fresh coolant plus water pump lube, and change the thermostat.

2. Replace the spark plugs and ignition leads.

This is a good time of the year to do items 1 and 2 above while the weather is warm. Don't wait until frost arrives.

Tire noise due to uneven wear often make sounds in sync with wheel speed, or a multiple of wheel speed. Wheel bearing noise makes a grinding sound and may not be synchonous with wheel speed. However, you have a Subaru and many of those have all wheel drives. The noise you hear may be in the drive line. If the noise is quiet while going straight, but increases while turning, suspect the front CV joints. If you have a transfer case, check the lubricant level in it. Inspect all joints in the drive line.

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 5:42AM
More Discussions
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Radio antenna badly bent at car wash
I know this is going to sound really stupid but what...
africanboy
Sponsored Products
ELK Lighting Menlow Park 60045-3L Pendant - 36W in. - Oiled Bronze - 60045-3L
$736.00 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Windsor Misty White 3 ft.
Home Depot
Pure Rugs | Pure Rugs Mini Pouf (bean bag)
YLiving.com
Emerson Ottoman - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
1-1/2" Black Porcelain Knob
Signature Hardware
Collinburg 15 3/4" Wide Wall Light
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™