oil in spark plug holes?

ashortasiangirlAugust 16, 2008

Oil is leaking into the no. 1 spark plug hole and has started into the other two. Was checking the car over and found that the spark plug holes were half full of engine oil. All the valve cover bolts were tight, and as far as I know, the valve cover has never been removed. I was told to change the pcv valvue. Is there anything else i need to do? and is this a commom problem in cars? what do you think would be a reasonable price to pay to fix this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
casey_wa

What is the year, make and model of your car? I am thinking that it could be the spark plug tube grommets (round rubber gasket) in the valve cover. Need to know what kind of car you have to be more helpful in solving your problem

Casey
"http://www.driverdb.com/drivers/12076/";

Bookmark   August 16, 2008 at 7:51PM
jemdandy

If your spark plugs are in a deep hole/tube through the top of the valve cover, it is probably a leak beteeen the valve cover and engine top parts. There are soft seals at these joints.

If the valve cover is made of plastic, it likely has metal ferules in the bolt holes that limits how far the mounting bolts can be cranked down (protects from cracking the plastic). Over time (3 to 4 yrs), plastic valve covers have been known to shrink may begin to leak at the head/valve cover interface.

The cure to many of these leaks is a new gasket set.

Bookmark   August 17, 2008 at 6:20PM
paparoseman

Toyota's have this problem depending on what engine is in the car. My 86 Supra had this problem, it was a secondary gasket on the top of the motor which had aged allowing oil to seep into the spark plug holes.

Bookmark   August 18, 2008 at 10:48PM
jemdandy

This problem is not limited to Toyota. Our '97 Saturn, dual OHC engine, had the identical problem.

Bookmark   August 18, 2008 at 11:39PM
More Discussions
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L Fire
Hi All, My Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L recently totaled...
mhs21
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™