Advice on car problem

savithagopalanAugust 4, 2005

I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra with 27K miles on it. Today, when driving at 60 mph on an interstate the engine simply stopped and the 'service engine soon' sign came up. I pulled over to the shoulder, turned the keys off and tried starting the car again. The engine did not switch on despite several attempts. After about 15 minutes, I tried again and the engine took off. I could drive the car at about 60 mph but felt an unusal drag/effort in having to drive at that speed. I drove for about 6 miles and the engine died again. Again, I couldn't start it immediately but could start it after a 10-minute break. After this episode repeated itself 3-4 times, I reached home.

I just filled gas a couple of days ago so lack of fuel can be ruled out. Whenever the engine starts, it doesn't make any unsusual sounds. The car lights/AC etc are fine. I don't think the the car is over heated becasue the temperature level on the panel is normal. I have been servicing it regularly and the car is not due for the next service until it hits 29000 miles. Any idea what might be wrong with the car?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mxyplx

Plugged fuel filter?

Bookmark   August 4, 2005 at 8:06PM
jemdandy

Possibilities

1. Fuel filter

2. Ignition module heating up and failing. Could be the cam shaft position sensor or crank (flywheel) sensor.

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 7:18AM
duanejack

Your check engine lamp may have just come on with some of the other indicator lamps due to the car dying. Did the CEL light up just before the car died or definitly before any other light came on, if so then go down to the local code reader shop and get the code from the computer and let us know please for maybe some better assistance, there are some good ones already.

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 11:45AM
earthworm

Posted by: JemDandy (My Page) on Fri, Aug 5, 05 at 7:18

Possibilities
1. Fuel filter..... I disagree, just a service item , due to be changed at 50 to 100K miles !!

2. Ignition module heating up and failing. Could be the cam shaft position sensor or crank (flywheel) sensor.

.......This heat is hard on coils, transformers, computers.Temperatures are too high under the hood. Styling? running amok over common sense engineering...

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 12:25PM
GoodOleBoy

I had a nissan truck that diod the same thing. It was an egr valve but I never fixed it.The reason it would not restart is becuase the computer goes into "safe" mode and resets after 3-4 attempts.

Bookmark   August 8, 2005 at 2:02AM
savithagopalan

Hi Everyone

Thanks very much for your inputs. As JemDandy suggested, it was the crank shaft position sensor. I came to know that Nissan had recalled some cars for this problem earlier. So the dealer fixed it for free!

Thanks again
Savitha

Bookmark   August 8, 2005 at 4:24PM
Pooh Bear

Glad you found out what it was.

Just because the temp gauge reads normal is no guarantee.
If the coolant level gets below the sending unit then it won't read properly.
And it will exibit the symptoms you described.

Pooh Bear

Bookmark   August 8, 2005 at 11:38PM
More Discussions
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
rotor problems
I think I just got "taken for a ride" by...
jill1273
1998 Dodge Caravan - Electrical Problems !?
Hi Folks, seems rather quite here, but I've got nothing...
vgkg
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™