Is this a legitimate way to do thing for an architect?

okpokesfanFebruary 2, 2012

Hi guys. Met with the architect for the first time last Friday. Said he would have something to me by WEdnesday. He called last night to say he was emailing it but would only send the first floor because he wasn't going to draw up the second floor until we had the first floor close to finished.

Is this a normal way of doing things?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

Normal shouldn't be the standard; the appropriateness of this approach depends on the design program. I can imagine a program that would make it reasonable but I can't say if it is reasonable for your program.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 12:02PM
live_wire_oak

It's not a right or wrong way to proceed, but I can see where it can be his approach when working with some clients. If you are all over the map when it comes to design issues, I can see why he doesn't want to waste his time even whipping up a rough draft for the upstairs. The upstairs physically rests on the downstairs, and needs to have some things set in stone downstairs in order to be able to design a space that works structurally. Unless you are willing to spend mucho on steel everywhere to have the open spans needed to support the upstairs weight without bearing interior walls, then work with him in the method he's comfortable with to get the downstairs permanent support walls roughed out better based on your input about the design.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 2:01PM
musings

The answer is "yes," that is a "normal" way for some architects depending on the design program. In our case, we really did need to get far enough along on the first story before tackling the second or the architect would have been revising two stories at a time. There was a program for upstairs but the layout depended on the downstairs which took us a bit to get just right.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 3:02PM
okpokesfan

Thanks guys. Since we totally hated the first draft I can see now why he did this! We've got the second draft and the footprint changed quite a bit. Thanks for all the responses.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
After building....items you wish you would have thought of..
Hello, for those of you that built a house. After...
einajr
Desireable slope for drainage away from house and garage?
We're building a rectangular-ish house with an attached...
lookintomyeyes83
Frank Betz Chapman from Start to Finish
Following in the footsteps of 'jnjmom,' our family...
trulygrateful
Help With Hip Roof and Mixed Pitches (+ Please Critique My Home Front)
Hello, I and my husband are building a colonial with...
mary8153
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
Sponsored Products
New Runner Azure Blue Hand Knotted Wool Super Kazak 3x12 Geometric Rug H5925
BH Sun Inc
Treluci Floor Lamp by SONNEMAN Lighting
$2,550.00 | Lumens
Nickel Table Lamps: Luna 27 in. Satin Nickel Incandescent Table Lamp CLI-DF49553
Home Depot
Black s: Remote Control Black Metal 72 In. 5025-01
$72.09 | Home Depot
Serena & Lily Charing Cross Rug
Serena & Lily
Vietri Set of Four Ruffle Glass Shallow Bowls
$132.00 | FRONTGATE
Jessica McClintock Couture Low Profile Leather Upholstered Bed - ADL3690
Hayneedle
Glistening Ridge Rug 8' x 10' - CHOCOLATE
$2,499.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™