Car Not Starting/Turning Off - Need Advice

ggalvAugust 3, 2010

We are having trouble with my friends 1996 Maxima. About two months ago, the car was turning on but after trying to move it, it turned off if it was not accelerated. I talked to a mechanic and he said he needed to accelerate the car so that it would not turn off.

Well, too make a long story short, we got a new battery and were only turning on the car once a week to move it to the other side of the street because of a busy schedule.

Right now, the car does not longer turn on. Yesterday, I tried turning on the car with a jump start from another car, and it did turn on. But as soon as I disconnected the cables, the car turn off.

Appreciate your advice/help on what might be going on.

THANKS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

The charging system may have failed. Also, after starting the engine, the charging system needs several minutes (15 to 30 minutes) to replenish the battery charge. Frequent starts without enough run time will deplete the battery.

The new battery may not have been fully charged and soon ran down with frequent starts with short run times.

If the engine starts and runs while the shift lever is in park, and then kills when the shift lever is moved to reverse, suspect a broken ground strap. If you smell a hot wiring smell after the engine runs for a minute of two, shut off immediately. When a ground strap is broken, the ignition may complete its circuit through the park-neutral switch, and this circuit may be overloaded. When the shift lever is moved out of park or neutral, the park/neutral switch opens and shuts off the ignition.

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 6:00AM
More Discussions
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
too much pressure in cooling system
I have a 95 sable that lost heat about a year ago....
anggi821
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L Fire
Hi All, My Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L recently totaled...
mhs21
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Border Frame Duvet Cover
Serena & Lily
Yosemite Full/Queen-size Rustic White Cedar Log Lodge-style Solid Wood Headboard
Overstock.com
Chrissy Ruby Matte Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$157.50 | Bellacor
Edushape Mini Edu Number Tiles - 706257
$16.99 | Hayneedle
Bergama Area Rug in Khaki & Off-White - 5' x 8'
Grandin Road
Mario Batali by Dansk 2.5-quart Persimmon Braiser
Overstock.com
Larchmere Anya Table Lamp with Open Weave Trim
Lamps Plus
Ball Wall Clock by Howard Miller