Repair or Replace Lumina Van?

exgmAugust 7, 2007

I've got a 96 Lumina Van which blew one of the head gaskets, 3.4, 119,000mi. Most original equip save for tie rod ends and one ball joint. Outside of the corrosion resistance of the plastic panels, it's not noted for being particularly reliable. At that age it's generally a gamble to invest in a repair of this expense. (Let's face it, book value is not particulalrly high, it has been driven in a winter salt environment). Time to cut it loose?

Just looking for points of view.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gary__

One way to approach it when an older vehicle needs a major repair is to ask yourself, would I purchase this vehicle for the cost of that repair? Sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind.

Disclaimer...I hate mini-vans. They're a great idea, functional and practical, but YUK. jmo

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 11:24AM
jasper60103

I still have my '95 Chevy Lumina 3.1 sedan. 167,000 miles and counting. About a year ago I had the manifold intake gasket replaced. Its always been a great runner, so I figured it was worth the $700 repair. Its been very reliable. My son got his license last March, and he's been driving it since. Still going strong.

No experience with a head gasket repair.
Does it cost more than a couple grand?
On the practicle side, I would assume the value is less than that.

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 1:00PM
exgm

The repair quotes range from $2200 (dealer) to $2600cdn (independent garage, most comprehensive about what he wants to do).

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
Running rich?
01 Taurus, Vulcan motor.owned for 4 months. Ran ok...
stoveguyy
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
Honda Accord 2014 or 2013 navigation
I'm looking at a 2014 Accord and wondering whether...
maryann0625
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™