Rover 213: good car, bad car?

ReynAugust 26, 2005

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a cheap but sturdy car, and I've come across an at first glance very reasonably priced 1986 Rover 213 automatic. It is well tended, in very good shape considering its age, and it's only run 105000km (65000mi). But since I don't know much about Rovers, I would like to ask some opinions about this car.

So far what I've found out is that it's basically a Rover-branded Honda Ballade, and the few articles I found on the Internet about the Rover 213 have been positive: a reliable, economic vehicle. Do you agree with this opinion?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthworm

Art Herrick : The Rover (Rover 80, 90, 2000 and LandRover) is the world's worst car !
I'll never forget that..
What has happened in England to their automobile industry is a crying shame. And the same could happen to us !

Leaving all this ranting aside, the single most important thing is the quality of service and availability of parts at a reasonable cost..

IMO, the English do seem to know how to paint a motor vehicle - if nothing else...

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 11:05AM
Reyn

I've heard similar knee-jerk reactions from others aswell: "Rover sucks!" But the thing is, the Rover 213 isn't a Rover, it's a Honda :) So maybe it's just the one exception to the rule together with its bother, the 216?

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 11:12AM
earthworm

No knee-jerk here, I neither agreed nor disagreed with him, he was an excellent mechanic, drove a Saab GT750 for a while, and then a Buick Riveria..

I'm sure the Ronda is a better car - the Japanese seem to have a better attitude re quality..

But why not just buy a Honda ??

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 4:06PM
Socalinspector

Hey Worm:
Do you get a royalty or bonus of some kind every time you mention Saab ? No matter what the Topic of discussion is, you seem to feel a need to compare the posters' problem to your own real world experiences and many times you're way off base, what gives ?

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 7:23PM
jemdandy

If you live stateside, I'd be concerned about service and availability of repair parts.

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Sponsored Products
Paw Prints Doggie Care Package - 819232
$48.99 | Hayneedle
Elenco Snap Circuits Snap Rover - SCROV-10
$84.95 | Hayneedle
Blue Wave Pool Rover
Beyond Stores
Modern Style Creative Wooden Table Lamp with Lunar Rover Shape
ParrotUncle
Indiana Treckin Twin Rover Designed Bed - Silver - IDF-7766
Hayneedle