Shower Floor Saga Continues (Latest Subject: Polished Slate)

jaidogMarch 9, 2012

I had talked myself out of using slate on the shower floor and started looking at 2x2, 3x3, or 4x4 mosaic porcelain tiles in the under $10/sft price range. I am looking for something dark (black, gray), but want to avoid a solid color.

Based on some recommendations I found on this forum, I looked at Daltile Continental Slate and found the Asian Black to be too blue for my shower. I also saw a more basic Daltile 2x2 which comes in plenty of colors, but the colors had no variation -- just solid. I also looked at Crossville Bluestone which looked nice until I saw the price.

Then, I came across a 2x2 called Black Slate. I wanted to avoid slate, but this was unlike any slate I had seen in the past. It's smooth, each piece is the same thickness, and it has a very slight sheen. The salesman stated it was polished slate. It had no clefts and the salesman okayed it for a shower, whereas he would not recommend cleft slate for a shower. To top it off, it was priced at $7/sft for the 2x2 mosaic.

Has anyone had experience with polished slate? I plan to get a sample of it and soak it in water for a couple of days as suggested in another post. Anything else I can try in order to determine if it will hold up on a shower floor?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pricklypearcactus

I have honed Ostrich Gray slate/quartzite (16x16) in my laundry room / mud room, powder room, pantry, and entry. I also intend to install it in my kitchen. It's gray, charcoal, silver, and black with a lot of variation and pattern. The surface is very smooth and also has a slight sheen. I purchased from a local store, but Arizona Tile also carries it. I don't have it in a shower, but so far I have been very pleased with the material. I absolutely love how it looks and everyone that sees the new floors has nothing but nice things to say.

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 10:06AM
Lynne Reno

I have honed gold green slate in my shower, tub surround and bathroom floor, I can't tell you about long term durability but so far it's fantastic. DH and I have a thing about natural stone there is something very organic and special about it that can't be duplicated in even the best porcelains. I have gauged slate in my entry and laundry room and don't like it nearly as well as the honed

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 10:28AM
jaidog

Thanks for both of your responses. I'm wondering if the slate I'm looking at is actually a quartzite since it resembles the slate from Arizona Tile and since it's the only slate I've found that looks the way it does.

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 12:29PM
pricklypearcactus

The Ostrich Gray I used was termed slate at one place and quartzite at another, even though it's definitely the same stone. Either way I do think it's a wonderful stone.

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 1:22PM
Lynne Reno

yes, the gold green that I have is actually quartzite, but you see it advertised as slate too. I fell in love with the Ostrich Grey but they only had 12x12 and our GC wanted to use 16x16 so we went with our second choice the gold green. I think after discount it was around $4 sq ft, $6 sq ft for 1x3 trim

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
Photos of your finished bathrooms?
Is there anywhere on this site where people on this...
bixa2805
Which latricrete products for full shower build?
I'm a bit confused about all the various Latricrete...
cataan
Final Decisions - Lighting and Countertop - "Spa-Like" or "Dreary"?
We have been in the middle of a very long & drawn-out...
AHMIowa_NJ
shower pan worries. Is any of his method correct?
Unsure about my plumber's method. Could I get some...
mmaggied
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Sponsored Products
Remer by Nameeks 359W Shower Head - REMER 359W
$201.26 | Hayneedle
Intelligent Design Cassidy Floral Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Shower Curtain Artistic - Happy Fish
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Yellow & Gray Medallion Shower Curtain Set
$11.99 | zulily
Traditional Concealed 1 Outlet Twin Thermostatic Shower Valve (Oval)
Hudson Reed
David Bromstad "Lavender Love" Artwork
Grandin Road
Design House Millbridge 529248 Tub and Shower Faucet - 529248
$91.99 | Hayneedle
Delta Shower Enclosures Mandara 59-3/8 in. x 56-1/2 in. Sliding Tub Door in
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™