GMC / SIERRA 1999-2002

GMC / YUKON 1999-2002

GMC / YUKON XL 1999-2002

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V379000 Mfg's Report Date : AUG 29, 2005

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 804000

Summary:

CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE UNWANTED ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) ACTIVATION. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IN ENVIRONMENTALLY CORROSIVE AREAS. THIS RECALL WILL BE LAUNCHED IN THE "SALT BELT" STATES OF CONNECTICUT, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MICHIGAN, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT AND WEST VIRGINIA ONLY.

Consequence: THIS CAN CAUSE INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES DURING LOW-SPEED BRAKE APPLICATIONS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Here is a link that might be useful: NHTSA.DOT.gov

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cowboyind

Hyundai issued a big recall yesterday, too. There's a different recall issued practically every week. Why do you only report the GM ones?

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 5:25PM
johndeere

Why worry about a recall on the big gas gusslers.They will soon be sitting on dealers lots rusting away anyway.Who needs breaks on a obsolete anchor.

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 10:26PM
bill_h

they are anchors on the lots in new orleans. want deal on a car with a little water damage?

Bookmark   September 1, 2005 at 5:27AM
earthworm

Things can be done better...

GM could make their vehicles more corrosion resistant - and are they the only ones ?

Owners can maintain their vehicles better .And take more responsibility....
The state could use a lot less damaging road salt.

Bookmark   September 1, 2005 at 12:41PM
akastj_northern_ca

"Why do you only report the GM ones?"

GM = Gross Mis-management...

TJ

Bookmark   September 1, 2005 at 6:39PM
cowboyind

If GM is producing some of the highest quality vehicles on the road based on consumer surveys, as they are, with gross mismanagement, then I can't imagine what they could do if their management techniques improved.

But as far as recalls are concerned, all companies have a lot of them, as the link you provided shows.

Bookmark   September 1, 2005 at 11:09PM
bill_h

isnt a recall a good thing? it means the company found a possible problem with their product, and are following it up. so the customer dosent get caught down the road with a major expense or a part failure that could lead to injury.

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 12:58AM
cowboyind

I guess the idea behind the original post is that if a vehicle is built right, it shouldn't need to be recalled. However, with the complexity of vehicles and the number of lawsuits filed in this country, every manufacturer winds up recalling many vehicles every year.

Many recalls are for trivial items, or for possible defects that only affect a few vehicles, yet require that tens of thousands be checked to figure out which few actually have the problem. Case in point: My S10 was recalled to have a new seat belt/airbag warning sticker put on the sun visor. Apparently there was a misprint on the original one. They mailed me the sticker and included instructions for attaching the new sticker, and also said that I was welcome to visit the dealer and "have this service performed for me."

I read both stickers -- the original one that came on the truck, as well as the "corrected" sticker that they mailed me -- and they were identical. So whatever problem might have existed on the sticker didn't affect all vehicles.

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 1:19AM
bill_h

yes the hyundai recall is on the sanata for front seats that could cause the driver or passenger back pain over the life of the car due to poor posture. about like your sticker recall, mostly meaningless.

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 3:30AM
More Discussions
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L Fire
Hi All, My Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L recently totaled...
mhs21
Sponsored Products
Taupe Hotel New York Embossed Dobby Sheet Set
$21.99 | zulily
Stonegate Designs | Brentwood Semi-Flush Side Patterned Ceiling Light
$653.52 | YLighting
La Vida Neutral Lounge
$279.99 | Dot & Bo
Satin Dark Blue - Brushed Steel Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Cobblestone Rug 9'6" x 13'6" - TANGERINE
$1,629.00 | Horchow