Cheep trick to increase fuel economy

gary__August 26, 2005

If anyone wants to try this, have at it.

I won't dump any in my gas unless I'm sure it doesn't damage injectors or seals in the fuel system.

Here is a link that might be useful: acetone

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worm

I wouldn't do it either. The price of these chemicals is going up too. I bought a gallon of lacquer thinner the other day for $10. Last time I bought it was about $6. Motor oil (standard Valvoline) was about $1.25 a year ago and I think it's pushing $2 now. All these things are going up.

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 8:26AM
earthworm

I would have to think that one of the oil companies would use some acetone and then claim the mileage benefits...
So far - nothing.
One problem is the insane emissions concern, another is litigation - these will be the death of our nation unless they are controlled..

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 11:34AM
mxyplx

This wasn't covered in the acetone site:

What happens to the acetone in the fuel if the heap sits for 3 weeks w/o being drove? Does it remain mixt or evaporate off?

Bookmark   August 27, 2005 at 4:07PM
nine7xbam

The best way to get better gas mileage is simply to lighten your right foot.By keeping my Matrix away from redline I average a solid 34 mpg now!Still see big suvs ripping down the interstate at 75-80 mph,guess they're not worried about the high price of gas.

Bookmark   August 28, 2005 at 10:34AM
steve_o

Don't waste your time. "Tom" will never be back ...

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 9:34AM
steve_o

Heh. I can lose. My car doesn't run on gasoline...

Bookmark   September 8, 2006 at 9:13AM
irishbrewer

worm,

The cost of the acetone isn't that big of a factor. You use it in pretty small quantities. I calculated that at the current price of acetone, it would cost about $0.67 to treat a full (20 gallon) tank of fuel.

At the current price of gas, assuming a 10 percent increase in economy, you would save about $5. Reduce that savings by the price of acetone and you are still ahead.

The big "IF" is the increase in fuel economy. Some have reported no benefit and others have reported 30% increases in economy. I would be very suspect of anything over 15% and I don't doubt that in some cases it results in no benefit or even a slight decrease in economy.

Acetone is a strong solvent but it looks like it doesn't cause any problems with seals/gaskets/etc even in much higher concentrations than what is recommended. However, it may loosen up carbon deposits and clean out the fuel system and engine. Hopefully the carbon deposits that are broken up are small enough that they don't cause any clogging of injectors, filters etc. Not much has been written about this that I have been able to find.

Bookmark   September 14, 2006 at 1:13PM
exgm

There's different views out there on this.
See
hxxp://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2006/January/08.html
(Replace the xx of course)
From what I've experienced with the chemical, I think these comments are pretty accurate. "Pays your money and takes your chances" I'd say.

Bookmark   September 14, 2006 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
Warning:Quaker State Oil Filters
Better check your filters really close. I used to simply...
andyf
Brake fluid flush
I've had new brakes installed in the past. However,...
africanboy
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L Fire
Hi All, My Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L recently totaled...
mhs21
Sponsored Products
LED Acrylic Lens Step Light by Kichler
$86.20 | Lumens
Parade Outdoor Area Rug
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
Contempo Nickel Pendant- Large
$385.00 | Bellacor
Economy Exposed Outdoor/Indoor Shower Unit
Signature Hardware
Modern Classic Bed
Italy Design