need advice on sconces and mirrors

scrapinsalMarch 27, 2012

we are just starting to plan a master remodel. I have several questions but the first is about mirrors and lights over vanity. It is a straight shot, 83". Two sinks on either end and drawers in the middle. Am planning on two separate mirrors with sconces on the sides rather than overhead.

With that much space, would you recommend 3 sconces (with just one in the middle) or 4 with one one each side of both mirrors.

thanx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
winesnob

It is probably a silly rule of mine but I always decorate in three's, five's and seven's.....I just ordered three great looking sconces from Circa lighting. The bad news they are on back-order until June but loved them so much I am waiting. Along with the three sconces I did some lighting from ceiling that tilts toward vanity.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 12:28AM
fall

Recessed lights are cheap to buy and will give better light than sconces. So add the sconces for the look, and add the recessed for light when you need light.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 9:10PM
phiwwy

I would add a tower in the center of the sinks, then go with 4 lights. But you didn't ask that :-) I think 4 lights would look like a lot, but could be ok if the mirrors are on the smaller side.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 8:17AM
michoumonster

I am doing something similar. i think 4 lights will look nice. you can also do 2 single sconces and one double in the middle.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 1:55PM
outsideplaying_gw

I agree with winesnob. Not only with the 'numbers', but with the lighting from the ceiling. I'm also a little worried with that 83" space that 3 sconces just doesn't sound right either. Maybe too spaced out. Have you considered revisiting your sconces-only rule and putting an overhead 3-light fixture above each mirror? And some canned or an overhead chandelier complimenting the mirror fixtures would be lovely. We have a chandelier fixture in our bath with a ball fixture above the tub (all on separate dimmer switches) and it works great.

I have sconces-only in a half bath and I wouldn't want to rely on those lights alone for putting on make-up. They are purposely a bit on the soft-lighting side, but even if they were amped up with some stronger bulbs it wouldn't be enough 'getting ready' light for me personally.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 1:57PM
salem1772

I read somewhere that in order to properly light the face, sconces need to be spaced 30-40 inches apart. Do a little research to confirm that. My memory is fried from my own bath renovation! Also, I think recommended lighting includes overhead and side lights. Good luck; only 99 more decisions to make!

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 3:30PM
More Discussions
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Replacing The Hideous Blue Bathroom
I started removing the tile from the tub surround....
christina222_gw
Trying to Match.....
I am trying to match a set of Dornbracht Madison lav....
Patricia Kuehne
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
Final Decisions - Lighting and Countertop - "Spa-Like" or "Dreary"?
We have been in the middle of a very long & drawn-out...
AHMIowa_NJ
Sponsored Products
Talista Wall Mounted 1-Light Outdoor Rustic Sienna Lantern with Frosted Seeded
$67.98 | Home Depot
Chantilly Mirrored Vanity Tray - MOCHA/GOLD (10 X 6 X 1.5)
$230.00 | Horchow
Monarch Round Mirrored Scalloped Accent Table - I 3703
$354.00 | Hayneedle
Plantation Burnished Brass One-Light Wall Sconce
$349.00 | Bellacor
Kichler Stella Chrome Wall Sconce 1-Light
PLFixtures
Feiss Penelope 41 3/4" Wide Pentagon Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Murray Feiss Lucas Modern Contempo Wall Sconce
1800Lighting
Majolica Green 32" Round Brezza Wall Mirror