Vanity or pedestal in small powder room?

joaniepoanieFebruary 4, 2012

We are at the end of kitchen remodel and decided to redo powder room which is 4.5 x 4. You walk in and (currently) 24" vanity is straight ahead with toilet to the right. We are putting in same tile floor as in kitchen. Pedestal sink would open it up more visually, but then I'd have to have an over the toilet cabinet for some storage and I am not crazy about them. I could order a 24" sink base cab as in kitchen and there is enough granite for top and 4" splashes, but big and boxy and stuff gets lost in the "dark cave." Am also considering a custom floating vanity 18" wide x 18" depth (also same as kitchen cabs), with granite top, but was told sink would have to be very small. I am perplexed over which way to go.....GWer's always have great perspective....thanks for any suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desertsteph

I'd also rather have some type of cabinet for storage there...
can you find one that isn't bulky looking? maybe on shot legs but still with a cab under it? that should make if feel a bit more airy.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 12:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xand83

Wow, you bathroom sounds freakishly like ours! We are finishing up our little 1/2 bath re-do and we chose a vanity. It is smaller than the 24" vanity it replaced, but it is taller (36"h vs. 30"h) and it is more shallow (about 6" more shallow than before). It's just a standard Ikea Lillangen vanity. We will store basics in there, but the one shelf it comes with can't be used due to our plumbing. Oh well.

Pedestals are nice looking, but they really don't offer any storage. If you are not hurting for storage (we certainly are!), they are a great alternative.

Good luck!

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Help choosing a vanity top?
I am trying to choose a vanity tops for my renovated...
singers11
Kohler Archer Undermount Sink and Vanity Depth
Has anyone used a Kohler Archer undermount sink in...
Jill Wood
help - can I recess surface mount medicine cabinets?
We have just realized that our previously ordered 5...
docellie
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
What is the strongest, best bathroom fan on the market?
We've had mildew in our old bathroom, despite having...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™