Does it need touch up?

Lexie76July 4, 2005

Someone keyed my bumper. It is a small scratch near the trunk. A friend told me that I need to get the paint kit and touch the area up if not get it fixed to avoid the paint from gradually falling off in that area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brianl703

No, I wouldn't think so. Rust might be a concern but that bumper is probably plastic.

If you decide to touch it up look at the link below. I've used this stuff and it really does work.

As far as touch-up paint, I've gotten my touch-up paint from http://www.paintscratch.com and used it with the Langka. But my cars are old enough that no dealer will stock touch-up paint for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Langka

Bookmark   July 4, 2005 at 11:12PM
Lexie76

Brianl703,
Thanks for the link :)

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 2:00PM
Lexie76

Touch up will not do it as someone cut the bumper w/ a knife. I was told that it needs to be sanded, filled in the spot and repaint. It is small spot and I was wondering if anyone knows what the pros use? Can a non pro do the job? I hate the hassle of taking it in.

Bookmark   July 8, 2005 at 12:43AM
brianl703

You can get a sanding pen from the link above. It really depends on how deep the cut is as to whether you can just sand and repaint or if you actually have to fill it in.

Bookmark   July 8, 2005 at 4:14PM
Lexie76

I took it in for an estimate and I was quoted $334 for an inch wide cut -not very deep. I was advised not to bother with it as it is on the bumper so it will not rust. The job takes TWO days as they have to take the bumper out, sand it and repaint.

Bookmark   July 9, 2005 at 11:27AM
brianl703

If you just want to cover up the scratch somewhat, you might still try touch-up paint. At least to get the color over the bare plastic (if that's what's there).

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™