Shower Pan Slope Problem? (Pic Included)

jaidogFebruary 14, 2012

The slope of my shower pan doesn't carry all the way to one of the walls. In the photo below, the board is laying on the correctly sloped portion of the pan. As you can see, there is a gap between the shower pan and the board. This gap is about 1/2" at the wall. The faintly visible line along the wall is where the shower pan should have come up to.

Should I correct this? If so, how?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent

Yes, this needs to be corrected. Being that you've caught it before the tile went down, it's an easy fix, and most pros would be able to take care of that just with some "creative troweling" of the thinset when they install the tile. But what you can do, is take some thinset, and using the flat edge of your notch trowel, fill that void, laying it flat on the CORRECT part of the pitch, allowing the end of the trowel to "float" above the void just as your stick is in the picture, thereby screading off the thinset and filling the void.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 8:59AM
jaidog

Bill:

I have a half bag of Laticrete 255. Will that work okay for this? I vaguely recall reading that thinset should not be built up 1/2 inch and thought I would need to use more 3701 to fill the void. I have both 255 and 3701, and will use whichever you recommend.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 12:04PM
bill_vincent

255 will work fine. It's MADE to be able to build up a little more than most thinsets, and in fact, I use it for all my shower pans, just for this reason.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 7:24PM
jaidog

Bill:

I'll use the 255 to build up the edges. As always, thanks for the great advice.

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
"Dated" but maybe I need to do it anyway?
Sorry for the long post. We are remodeling the master...
risforremodel
Kerdi Shower Part Deux
Here's Part Deux. The original Kerdi Shower thread...
mongoct
Looking for Dupe to RH Nolan Sconce
Has anyone run across sconces that look similar to...
Jill Wood
Partial glass enclosure for tub – thoughts?
Hi All, We are currently renovating our bathroom and...
prissum
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™