Help! Did we screw up? Vent-A-Hood only 21" deep

new_2_njMarch 25, 2013

Hi all,

we got an amazing deal on a Vent-A-Hood (SLH9-236SS). It seemed perfect in every way - 36" for our 30" Blue Star RNB, 600 CFM's so no MUA issues, great looking, great brand. I thought non-custom hoods came in two depths - 24" and 27", but this one is 21"! It's this going to be a problem? It seems like yes from a performance standpoint, but why would they make this depth at all? No cooktop is that shallow. Should we try to build out the back wall, so it will protude further? From the picture it looks like there is some play because the top is not flush with the bottom of the cabinet. I'm mostly concerned because the 22k BTU burners are in the front and won't be covered by the hood. Ugh - I knew it was too good to be true.

http://www.ventahood.com/images/Design_Ideas/Under_Cabinet/SLH9-236.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xedos

because you'd bump your head into it every time you used it.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 3:47PM
rentaltux

I used a couple 2x4's as spacers and cover the gap at back with a piece of stainless steel I had cut for about $20. It looked factory and worked well with no issues EXCEPT... I am 6"3" and you learn real quick that those corners on the hood are there... It only took 10-15 good hits to sink in... ;-)

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 1:34PM
ginny20

Are you sure the hood isn't over the burners? Is the edge of the burner much more than 21" from the wall?

My hood is 21", too, and only 19" if you subtract the part with the light in it. But the hobs in my induction cooktop only come out 19". When it's on, I can see the steam heading up and back into the baffles.

24" is better capture area, no doubt, but this may be just fine for you. If not, rentaltux's suggestion is good.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
gas oven ignitor help
I recently picked up a great amana self clean gas oven,...
billhiggs
Jenn Air Counter Depth Refrigerator
Hi, We will probably be getting the Jenn Air counter...
C C
Anyone have one of the new Viking Dishwashers?
They have rebuilt them from the ground up this year....
mkiv808
Over & Under refrigerator advice/options
I am remodeling my kitchen and planning to use separate...
uscpsycho
48 inch Bertazoni Dual Fuel or MIELE Range and Combi Oven Steamer
I am putting my options of getting the range. I have...
hkwan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™