not driving

bill_hJuly 22, 2005

something i have mentioned here b-4 is that i really hate driving anymore as i get older. and over the last couple of yrs, with the cost of gas,vehicles etc, i have made a point of driving as little as possible. iam down to about 6000 miles a yr. now. in fact in the last 45 days i havnt driven at all, been walking and riding my bike for work shopping etc. in mich. here with the cold weather and lack of public transportation, a car is a must. but i will be retiring in the next couple of yrs. and i want to move where its warm year round, and i have been thinking about not owning a car at all. any suggestions on places to live where a person could get along with a bike and maybe a golf cart.? someplace where the comunity supports this type of carless life?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vstech

most retired persons go to FL
sounds like you would be happy there. I still drive about 80,000 miles a year.

Bookmark   July 22, 2005 at 8:30PM
bill_h

i have a place in ft myers, but it would still be hard to get by completely without a car there. 80000 miles wow! at my present 6000 a yr, it would take me 13.3 yrs to drive that much! something to think about huh.

Bookmark   July 22, 2005 at 8:36PM
ericwi

Some cities are commited to public transit, and others are not. Madison, Wisconsin has good mass transit, but we also have long, cold, winters. Ft Meyers sounds good to me.

Bookmark   July 22, 2005 at 10:20PM
mikie_gw

There's a place just south of Tampa, called Sun City. Golf carts galore roaming the streets last time I was there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun City Center

Bookmark   July 22, 2005 at 10:20PM
Lexie76

Denver has a pretty good transit but you still need a car to get around unless you live downtown and pay an arm a leg for the property. The nearest grocery store is at least 1.5 miles away. Not convenience unless you want to shop at Walgreen or Rite Aid. It is cold 8 months of the year.

Bookmark   July 23, 2005 at 11:48AM
earthworm

There are books out on this - "Where to live when retired".
The winner could be Costa Rica....
For us, in Pennsylvania, the property/school taxes are a killer..

I do not mind the winter too much, but the summer heat is oppressive.

And I do note that my car does much sitting, now I drive 3 to 5 K annually..

I think Florida would be a horrible place to live - I was there in '48 and '59 - too much heat ! Now, I would say it is too crowded.

Bookmark   July 23, 2005 at 11:59AM
GoodOleBoy

Im sure they are "retirment communities" or neighborhoods that support this. Im thinking the ones with golf courses wouldnt mind you putting around on a golf cart. But you have the local police to contend with also on that.
In pecan grove,Tx lots of people drive there golf carts out of the neighborhood to the grocery store up the road.
To access this you will have to get on a public road which is still illegal on a golf cart.

Bookmark   July 24, 2005 at 3:00AM
More Discussions
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
1998 Dodge Caravan - Electrical Problems !?
Hi Folks, seems rather quite here, but I've got nothing...
vgkg
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
Hey All
This Is Sophie.I Am New To This Forum.
sophie18
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™