Marble slabs as shower surround

eks6426February 11, 2012

Has anyone seen marble slabs done as shower surrounds? I have a standard alcove tub and love the look of marble but not loving all the grout lines that would come with doing marble tile. Is it a bad idea to do marble slabs or is it just so insanely expensive that most people don't do it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pharaoh

You see this in upscale hotels all the time. granite, marble etc slabs for shower surrounds. also for flooring actually.
With stone getting cheaper, i think it should be not be that much more expensive than tile but somehow it is hard to find tradesmen who know how to do this in america.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 1:43AM
live_wire_oak

Irrespective of the staining, etching, and scratching potential issues with marble. It's very heavy, and will need a powder coated steel ledge attached to the studs to support it if you are using an acrylic tub. A cast iron tub might be able to take the weight. Consult with the tub manufacturer. At an average of $100 a square foot, it's also not going to be inexpensive. I'd expect 4-6K for the average tub alcove, depending on quality of choice and how tall you take the slab.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 10:31AM
pricklypearcactus

I've seen numerous pictures of marble slab showers on Houzz.com. Sorry I don't have any advice on upkeep, but I must say they are absolutely gorgeous!

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 10:51AM
pharaoh

Shower panels are thinner than countertop material. Usually 1/2".
Some are thinner (installed on aluminum honeycomb for strength). It may even end up lighter than tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: shower stone panels

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 12:18PM
dibgar

You might want to check out ForzaStone. The panels are real stone but very thin with a backing. They are much lighter than typical marble slabs. They come in large sheets so few grout lines.

www.forzastone.com

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Tub swinging glass door
Does anyone have a glass door on their tub hinged at...
aliris19
Vanity color that my two girls won't destroy
I did try to search. Lol. We are redoing the main...
joygreenwald
Another shower size questions
I am converting an alcove tub (60x30) to a shower....
cataan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™