'93 tempo starts then dies

gary__July 2, 2006

It's a '93 Ford Tempo, 4 cyl auto with about 140k miles on it. Lately when it sits for a few hours, when you go to start it, it starts, idles kind of high, then dies when you put it in gear. In fact, it will die if you don't put your foot on the gas in a few seconds too. Just does this for a minute or so, then it's fine...well as fine as a Tempo ever is. The check engine light does not come on when this is happening. In the last 10k miles it's had new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, and air filter. That wasn't due to chasing a problem, just maintainence. Any idea's what it might be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

Your IACS (idle air control) may be worn out.

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 11:58PM
gary__

The IAC isn't as old as the rest of the car. It was replaced three or four years ago at probably 110-120k. The symptom was a very high idle all the time when it failed last time. That of coarse doesn't mean there isn't a problem with the new one now. Thanks.

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 8:07AM
jemdandy

One other thing that can cause the same malady is worn down cams. The engine mapping built into the engine controller is based on new cams, not ones that have reduce valve lift and can go astray in engine speed management. Run a vacuum test, although you did not report any problems with reduced power.

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 4:18PM
earthworm

If not the IAC, then maybe a vacuum leak, a hose or manifold gasket.

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 2:00AM
More Discussions
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
want to purchase new Car
Hi guys .i want to purchase new car but I am confused..need...
Bill Payday
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™