1992 Accord Failed Emissions Test

happsJuly 31, 2011

My 1992 Honda Accord failed the emission test today for a too high NOX reading. The applicable standard is 2.50 and my car's reading was 2.61. I've read that high NOX has something to do with a malfunctioning EGR valve. Will replacing the EGR valve guarantee that I pass the emissions test? I don't want to start throwing money at all kinds of parts. Should I buy genuine Honda brand parts or are parts that are available on online auto parts websites for a lot less $ as good quality & get the job done? In case it helps, the Hydrocarbon reading was .60 and the Carbon Monoxide reading was 8.81. I've read that cleaning the EGR valve and ports helps. Since I have to provide a receipt for work done and I can't really get a receipt for doing my own cleaning, is the O2 sensor the least expensive part I could replace and get a receipt for, that would help the situation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

If the ERG valve is stuck and/or the ports clogged, remeding these maladies may solve the problem.

However, after you clean everything up, check out the ERG for operation. If does not operate, it may have failed or there is a problem in the control feeds to the valve.

Recirculating exhaust gas back into the intake mixture lowers the combustion temperature, hence reduces NOX. Sadly, it also reduces efficiency a bit.

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 6:19AM
More Discussions
too much pressure in cooling system
I have a 95 sable that lost heat about a year ago....
anggi821
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
truck locked up tight
350 in 96 1500 locked up tight. Just driving down the...
timlynn
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
Sponsored Products
ALFI AB1023 Tall Single Hole Bathroom Faucet - AB1023-BN
$109.00 | Hayneedle
Kinze Wall Sconce by Tech Lighting
$264.00 | Lumens
Radial Forest Green 18-Inch Outdoor Wall Light
$224.95 | Bellacor
Bamboo Flooring: Home Decorators Collection Flooring Horizontal Toast 5/8 in.
$1.98 | Home Depot
Proteus Wall Sconce by Access Lighting
$68.00 | Lumens
Varaluz | Occasion 3 Light Chandelier
$750.00 | YLighting
Rockwell Vodka Set
$26.99 | zulily
Daytona 36" Bathroom Vanity with Mirror - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™