Granite vanity top - normal pitting?

mndecor77February 16, 2012

We just had a new granite vanity installed. The granite is called comet.

Parts of the top are smooth while other areas are full of small pits. There are also a couple of other larger pits.

What is normal for this type of granite? I am concerned about cleaning and maintaining something like this in a bathroom.

I did ask the granite folks about the top, and they explained that they use a resin to make sure the tops are smooth. Obviously the guy wasn't straight with me.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
srjohnt

I'm not familiar with the specific type of granite you have by name (Comet), but in my experience most if not all of the graninte I've seen has small inclusions, fissures, and pits. Our vanity top has it, and our countertop has it.

All the granite my fabricator gets is already polished, and although they add sealer after the installation, there's no process that I'm aware of to apply a resin to the polished surface that would make it absolutely smooth.

Having said that, I don't think you'll have a cleaning issue unless you have a really large pit or fissure that catches debris. If you do, the fabricator can fill individual imperfections with epoxy and polish that smooth, one at a time.

I'm not saying there's not a process of epoxying the entire surface, I'm just not aware of it if there is....

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Partial glass enclosure for tub – thoughts?
Hi All, We are currently renovating our bathroom and...
prissum
Tub swinging glass door
Does anyone have a glass door on their tub hinged at...
aliris19
Does anyone have a partial glass partition for their shower?
I've seen quite a few photos of new showers with just...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Question for Bill or other expert about Redguard waterproofing
Bill, Hope you recall I posted the whirlpool / shower...
lenitsa
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™