how far with the donut?

sailor86July 18, 2008

I blew out a rear tire last week on my 2002 Mitsubishi Galant. I replaced with the spare "donut" stored in the trunk. I know it's only a temporary fix but what I need to know is how far I can safely go with it? I know the obvious answer is probably going to be as little as possible but because of financial restraints how far is far enough?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gary__

Don't know for sure but they seem to wear out pretty fast. Watch the tread as you would your other tires.

Are all your other tires shot? Did you ruin the one that went flat? If not, flat repair probably around $10. Used tire mounted and balanced probably $40. If you can't afford that, you can't afford to drive anyway.

What are you going to do if you happen to have another flat before you fix the last one? A whole new set of tires today will be more cost effective than a tow bill, field service, or impound fee. You can't be that broke.

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 12:30PM
kalining

It's printed on your spare tire rim. Read. Unless your sticker fell off it says. " Temporary use only in emergencies.Do not exceed 50 m.p.h. under any circumstances. Replace with proper tire A.S.A.P ". That spare tire is nylon so when you mix it with radial tires
you will be in for a very interesting ride.

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 4:41PM
bill_h

in my area of detroit here, people consider these temporary spares to be permanent repairs, capable of highway speed of 80 or more.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 5:20AM
axiomkid

A new Donut tire can run for about 50 miles or so till you get a new tire. There not made to be driven on for long periods of time, Especially since it makes your car uneven and most the weight of the car is being driven on the donut tire and not all 4 tires and this causes alot of wear and tear on the on the donut tire. DON'T waste the tire till its done, You may need it in Emergencies. Why have to buy another Donut tire cause you wore it out driving on it.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 9:21AM
sailor86

Believe it or not, the Galant came with a tire iron, but the wrong size. Luckily we have free courtesy patrol here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and they helped me out. I'm grateful for their service but that didn't stop me from buying a 4-way lug wrench. Who tries out the tire iron at the dealership lot anyway?

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 11:35PM
airforceguy

I guess you next time,lol

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 12:28PM
sailor86

You've got that right.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 2:42PM
hilltop_hunterlink_net_au

In April 2011 I blew a tyre in outback NSW Australia. I replaced the 255/55R18 tyre with a donut. Due to the unavailability of this tyre I drove 1400kms to Dubbo. This included 400 kilometres of gravel roads.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 8:25AM
More Discussions
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
want to purchase new Car
Hi guys .i want to purchase new car but I am confused..need...
Bill Payday
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™