Need suggestions on a spacious vehicle

kohokohoJuly 4, 2006

As the size of my family grows, I am looking into "upgrading" from my 96 Sentra to something that is roomy enough for a family with two kids that are 5 and 1 year old, and one other adult relative who plans to live with us for some time. At the same time, rising gas prices make me re-consider my thoughts on getting an SUV or a minivan. I'd appreciate some suggestions on possible options (at least 5-6 year old vehicles) that are not gas-guzzling, yet are fairly spacious for 3 adults and 2 kids.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

Some minivans really aren't bad on fuel, especially if you're not hung up on how many cylinders it has. One question: how mobile is the adult in question? Would it be difficult for him/her to sit down in a car or step up into a van?

One of the best bets might be a larger Buick. They've gotten good quality ratings and they're "full-size" (whatever that means anymore) yet they still get surprisingly good mileage. And since they don't head up the automotive hit parade, they can be had for relatively low prices.

A Ford Crown Victoria or Chevy Impala also might be worth considering, though the Crown Vic is rear-wheel-drive and the Impala of that vintage is -- well, maybe not GM's finest styling moment.

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 3:25PM
earthworm

Volkswagen has just the vehicle, and with a Diesel engine - but I doubt if we will ever see this..
Our auto-makers have made the so-called minivan too large - fine for 7 or 8 passengers; but we do need a true 5 or 6 passenger vehicle, but not those oversized abortions of the late 50s up to this day (Ford)..

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 1:57AM
lee676

Mazda 5, maybe? A sort of tall wagon or microvan, 3 rows of seats for up to 6 people, each in their own seat. The second and third rows fold down, and side access is through minivan-style sliding doors. But it's smaller than even a "mini" van. Also at Mazda dealers while they last, the MPV minivan, which is considerably smaller than most other brands but is very roomy and quite well designed. Otherwise, maybe a car-based utility vehicle with front drive and 3 rows of seats, like the newly revamped Toyota RAV4.

Bookmark   July 9, 2006 at 11:50AM
jasper_60103

Love my Honda Odyssey. Room for 6 passengers and gets decent gas mileage. Even used, they're no bargain though.

A guy at a restaurant was asking me about mine, which is a 2000. I think he wanted to make offer.

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 1:37PM
daddio2

Check out the Ford 500's. We bought a 2005 and we love it. Tons of interior room plus an enormous trunk. We have the all wheel drive and we are quite happy.

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 6:58PM
jemdandy

You have two children ages 1 and 5 plus you need space for 3 adults. To be legal in my state, your vehicle must accomodate 2 child seats plus 3 adults.

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Warning:Quaker State Oil Filters
Better check your filters really close. I used to simply...
andyf
Dying transmission question
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that has served me well...
catherinet
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
truck locked up tight
350 in 96 1500 locked up tight. Just driving down the...
timlynn
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
Sponsored Products
Big Chrome One Light LED MIni Pendant
$202.00 | Bellacor
Porch Swing: Polywood 4-ft. Recycled Plastic Nautical Porch Swing - White
$559.00 | Hayneedle
Bestar Pro-Biz Cappuccino Cherry Tambour Door Hutch
$303.99 | LuxeDecor
Eurostyle Cinzia Side Chair in Taupe & Chrome [Set of 2]
Beyond Stores
24-inch Recessed Baldwin Medicine Storage Cabinet
Overstock.com