leaky quadrajet

joe_mnJuly 27, 2006

i have an older motorhome with a chevy motor and quadrajet carb. if i let it sit for several days it will not start. i tried pouring a little gas in the carb and it will start fine. does this sound like a classic QJ float bowl leak or perhaps a n internal accelerator pump issue? it does not seem to squirt gas down the venturi when i pump it. but once it starts, the motor runs fine. we changed the fuel filter/strainer on the carb inlet but i wonder if it might be the FP as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geraldo17

remove the carb then remove the throttle plate and epoxy
the plugs in the float bowl.

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 8:45AM
gary__

Yep, that's the fix.

Another option would be to replace the old carb with a new one of the proper cfm for your engine. My son replaced his old quadrajet with an Edelbrock performer. Being a quadrajet fan from way back, I was skeptical when he bought it. I have to say it's a very nice carb.

Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 1:12PM
joe_mn

a friend just bought a 85 mustange and it came with a holley double pumper. not really a street carb so he swapped on a edelbrock 1405 or 1406? supposed to be a fairly common street carb, vacuum secondaries, 600cfm, elec choke. anyway, his mileage dropped from 300/tank to 200/tank. he got the carb used so he has no idea how its jetted but something is up. he took it into a shop that tunes cars and hopefully will get it straightened out.

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™