Any advice on a Toyota Sienna and a Hyundai Tucson?

downsouthJuly 24, 2008

We plan on purchasing a vehicle in the next six months.

We rented a Hyundai Tucson in California for over a week and we love the way it drove. I have back problems and the seats were very comfortable. The Tucson comes in a 4 cylinder and a V6. Would there be a big difference in gas mileage in the two? Would you get the V6 for the power?

Another one we like is the Toyota Sienna. Our son test drove one and he said it sits really good and drives good. Of course, this is a van and wouldn't get as good gas mileage as a Tucson. We were considering this one because it fits everyone in our family when we all want to hop in the same vehicle to go out of town.

My husband is leaning more toward the Sienna because of the Toyota name. We are retired and I'm not sure we need a van just to drive around our little town. I like the Tucson more because I think it would maneuver better around curves and would save a little gas. However, we have never owned a Hyundai and know nothing about them, which is a little scary.

Anyone have either one of these and can offer any opinions? Any problems that you know of or anything we should avoid?

Thanks, Dee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puzzlefan

I believe you would find some good information in the April issue of Consumer Reports which should be available atyour library. This past week, a friend brought over his Sienna for me to test drive as I was trying to decide between the van and getting another truck. One thing nice about the Sienna is that it has the vehicle stability control, something I won't be without anymore. He said that he was very pleasantly surprised that the vehicle surpassed the mileage ratings posted. V6 engines will generally cost you 4 to 6 mpg difference in gas efficiency.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 4:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_h

as a owner of 4 hyundais, i can tell you i have never had a problem with any of them, which is more than i can say for my 2 toyotas, wont even mention my new chevy. that being said if you trade in every few yrs the hyundai will not retain as much trade in value as a toyota will. most of the auto mags rate hyundai quality as good or better than toyota.

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 3:29AM
More Discussions
Radio antenna badly bent at car wash
I know this is going to sound really stupid but what...
africanboy
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
Warning:Quaker State Oil Filters
Better check your filters really close. I used to simply...
andyf
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™