Do sconces on a vanity mirror give enough light?

gus5February 8, 2012

My master vanity is 8 feet long with double sinks and a make-up area in the middle. I'm trying to decide on mirrors and lighting. I just searched this forum and found some great posts about mirrors and have basically decided to do one large mirror. (Thanks!) We are considering placing sconces on the mirror but I'm wondering if that will provide enough light. (versus having lighting above each sink and the make-up area) Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mtnrdredux_gw

Oh yes, it doubles the light! Be sure to choose sconces with more than one bulb, and put them on a dimmer. That way you should be able to get as many variations of lighting as you'd need. I had the very same setting in the dressing room in my last house, but I don't have a picture that shows it that way anymore.

This is is the dressing room I'm talking about:

I don't have a picture, but it used to have a vanity all the way across, and mirrors above that covering the wall. On the mirrors we mounted two sconces, each with two candle bulbs. There was plenty of light. (We changed it our for resale; some people feel a wall of mirrors looks dated, and the vanity we had was dated, so we redid it).

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 10:17PM
writersblock

That's a very handsome vanity, mtnrdredux. Can you tell me where it's from, or was it custom?

And yes, it does make it much brighter if the lights are reflected.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 10:01AM
andreadeg

Ditto what the previous posters said; i have two Lurgarno (from Restoration Hardware) sconces on my large mirror. They are on a dimmer and they provide alot of light. I have a small chandelier in the room over the bathtub which helps balance the light in the room.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
"Dated" but maybe I need to do it anyway?
Sorry for the long post. We are remodeling the master...
risforremodel
Tub swinging glass door
Does anyone have a glass door on their tub hinged at...
aliris19
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Shower Size OK?
We're in the middle of a renovation of our master suite...
ntrainer
Kerdi Shower Part Deux
Here's Part Deux. The original Kerdi Shower thread...
mongoct
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™