20 inch wheels--balancing

toasted_311June 30, 2005

A guy at work has a set of chrome 20" rims and tires(less than two months old) that fit my truck for $800. All for rims have welds on the insides---he said that was the only way to balance the big rims....I've never had anything bigger than a 17". Is this true and safe? If its ok I cant pass up the deal...same rims are 1400 at my tire shop.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_g

IMO, save your money, keep the wheels and tires that your truck was designed with. I really don't understand when people spend money on stuff like this, and then when their car needs a real repair claim they don't have enough money to do it! (I'm not saying you do that, just making a statement)

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 9:59AM
earthworm

I agree 100%, John.
On most cars, these expensive(and troublesome) oversized wheels with ultra low-profile tires look horrible - much like a car/truck with bicycle wheels...And ride about as well..
Better to spend all that money on gas.... and now there is none left...

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 11:26AM
toasted_311

this is true is...but no one actually answered my question though. So if someone would answer the question posted rather than stating they don't like that style of accessory then I'd be grateful. The only reason I'd get these rims is I can get both rim/tires for half of the new rims costs...I've got the money to spend if I want to on this and it not effect me otherwise. If the wheels are unsafe due to the weld balance then I won't get them.
Thanks

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 12:25AM
bill_h

the problem wont be the balance, its the rotating mass. you will be lucky if you can keep brakes on it for more than 8000 miles.

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 11:46AM
john_g

I have never seen welding done to balance a wheel and tire, in fact I have doubts about whether thats actually what it is or not. But lets just say that is what it is there for. When you replace the tires in the future (they will wear out) how much will they cost? Where will you go to have the assemblies rebalanced? How many times will you be able to do it before it makes them look like trash?

BTW it's impossible to give good advice on this kind of stuff when one makes a prudent decision to not waste any money on any of it to gain any experience with it. VBG..

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 12:18PM
mikie_gw

People weld on rims all the time, but never have heard it used for balancing. Perhaps it was factory balance on the custom machined rims.

Stick on weights work, and as they are soft lead will even form fit a bit if needed.

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 10:57AM
jemdandy

Maybe the original owner of these 'fancy' wheels did not like the idea of having balance weights in view, hence, he/she went the route of welded weights that were out of sight.

In my opinion, novices should not apply welds to wheels. Before any welds are done, one should know the stress patterns, and how to maintain wheel strength, and if a heat treatment after welding is required, or pre-heating before welding is needed. If the wheel material is aluminim or magnesiom alloy, its gets more dicey.

A cracked wheel is very dangerous, especially when the crack occurs a speed.

Bookmark   July 4, 2005 at 3:37AM
sdello

no direct experience with this, but intuitively adding weld material to balance wheels doesn't sound right to me. Balancing is performed by adding specific weight to specific locations. I would think that the variability inherent with adding weldments would make this an ineffective means of balancing the wheel.

Any way to add a picture of the welds?

My 0.02

Bookmark   July 4, 2005 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
too much pressure in cooling system
I have a 95 sable that lost heat about a year ago....
anggi821
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Low Voltage Matte Bronze 20-Watt Hardy Island
$79.00 | Home Depot
Desk Lamps: Seek 17 in. Satin Nickel LED Desk Lamp 3660-22
$69.97 | Home Depot
Personalized Oval Cutting Board with Monogram - 18"
$140.00 | FRONTGATE
Tech Lighting | Firefrit Pendant
$300.80 | YLighting
Porcelina Crossbar CrossbarSix-Light Dark Bronze Pendant Bowl With Crossbar
$940.00 | Bellacor
Two-Light Vinci Pot Rack
$299.99 | zulily
Samson 31W x 19D in. Chelsea Solid Surface Single Sink Vanity Top - ITB3119-01-1
$415.99 | Hayneedle
Diamond Sofa Zen Accent Floor Mirror Wrapped in Black PVC
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™