Replacing dishwasher door front

springwaterMarch 11, 2012

My dishwasher has part of its controls within the top edge of the door and the rest of the controls contained within a slightly protruding dull black plastic housing across the top part of the door. I'm sure you know what I mean, this configuration is seen everywhere. The rest of the door is covered with this ugly, shiny black panel. This dishwasher is not the kind that is made for a front panel replacement. I'm redoing my kitchen with custom cabinetry using antique wood and this dishwasher will be an eye sore. I would like to replace it with a dishwasher made specifically for adding a cabinet panel to cover the entire door but unfortunately the budget must be spent elsewhere at this time. Anyway, the dishwasher is only about 5 yrs. old and does a great job washing dishes. I thought of replacing the black shiny panel with a wood panel but don't know how I would accomplish this. Any ideas? I could even use a punched tin panel within a wood frame as a replacement since this will be a country kitchen. I don't want to buy a panel kit as they are terribly expensive--might as well put that investment into a new dishwasher if I was going that route. I'm hesitant to start unscrewing this black shiny panel front off the door, if it is even possible. Anyone with some experience in this matter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nunyabiz1

We replaced ours with a stainless panel made for the DW.
Was about $40 I think and took about 10 Minutes to do.

Ours is a Kenmore Elite which is really a Whirlpool. Also had a shiny black front door which we bought that way purposely because at the time all our appliances were black.
Been a really nice DW though, had for about 8 years or so now without a problem and cleans well.
Hard to say what would work best on yours without seeing a picture and listing the brand and model number.

Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 11:20AM
weedmeister

In the old days, when the world was young and I had more hair, DWs came with front panels that were both removable and of different colors: black/white and biscuit/avocado. It would not surprise me if the black panel may be white on the other side. However, it should not be any big deal to replace or paint it.

Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 10:08PM
springwater

Thanks, mine too is a Kenmore Elite. My front panel wraps around the sides of the door. No track to make ease of panel replacement. I guess I'll just have to get out the screwdriver and go to it. Thank goodness I had the smarts to have installed an electrical switch for this dishwasher so won't get electrocuted in the process of removing door front. Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 7:47AM
dan1888

The door spring may need to be changed or adjusted if possible to handle the increased door weight.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Questions on Bosch and Wolf induction - min. pan sizes
Hi, I have been reading posts on this forum for quite...
houztongirl
American Range? Buyer Beware!
It is with big frustration that I am reporting an unacceptable...
foodiefrog
Food Processor - Old Cuisinart, New Cuisinart, Used Robot Coupe?
I am thinking about getting a Cuisinart food processor. I...
johnliu_gw
Help Me Choose A Wall Oven
I have a Gaggenau 24" inch convection oven over...
heron3
My GC thinks I need 1000 cfm and I think he's crazy
So I actually don't think he's crazy and he's right...
crl_
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™