need an extra key for Acura

anncarolynJune 25, 2005

I just purchased a 2004 Acura RL and was given two keys. They did not have the valet key (which I always use as my "hidden on the car" key). I called the Acura dealership to price a new key. I was told the key blank was $55.00 and the labor charge for programming it would be $45.00. Seems $100 dollars is a lot to pay for a copy of a key. Is this the going rate or can I get a key made somewhere else? Acura talked as if they were the only people that could make me a copy. Thanks for you help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GoodOleBoy

i have an accord with the same type of keys.They have a ship that cannot get wet so hiding it under the car is not gonna work unless its in watertight case.
I had a key for the door only made at Home depot for $1. Now if you stick that copy in the ignition it will reset the security code and your screwed way more than $100. I would call different dealerships I found one to do a "real" copy for $45.

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 2:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cseyer

Yep $100 per key is the going rate for an Acura key. My local honda dealer will program them for $20 so I have bought a blank at Acura and had the Honda guy program them and saved a few dollars for my TL. Thanks to the thieves, the necessary security features add thousands to the price of your car :)

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™