was a grease monkey today?!?

klseiverdJune 25, 2013

Car has been doing this TOTALL random and infrequent sputter for... a long time. Brother suggested changing air filter before taking it in anywhere... he's NOT a mechanic, but new filter was only about $15. Car parts place said, just undo clips, pull out old filter, put new one in and reclip. Went out around 10 this morning and already HOT/HUMID here in NJ. Turned key just far enough to put all the windows down before popping hood. Rear wipe started running intermittent on its own... car was NOT on?? Wrestled old filter out... have no clue if it was dirty or FILTHY?? Pretty clean on top but pretty gray/black on bottom. Back wiper still going... oh, that happened 2 times before but stopped after about 5 minutes after leaviing to come home from school. Could only wrestle 2 of 4 clips back on to air filter. Wanted to pull fuse on rear wiper, but didn't have that little gizmo to pull fuse. Of course, hadda just about stand on head under steering wheel and fuse was WAY up in one corner... need adult strength and hands/fingers of a 3-4 yo. Drove to car parts place to throw myself on their mercy to fasten those 2 clips... which the guy did gratiously! The rear wipers mysteriously STOPPED less than 100 yards from store?? They actually opened up a fuse puller to "try"... car apparently has what they call "mini-fuses" and doo-dad wouldn't grip anything. They used really small eedle-nose vise grips and pulled fuse. Surprised car did this while NOT running? Maybe a "relay"... whatever that is. Just gonna leave fuse OUT... thinking if car goes all "Christine" on me in the middle of the night... dead battery? Ever experienced anything like this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

This is an interesting set of circumstances, but how can anyone make a reasonable guess if they do not know what they are dealing with? For example, is this a car old enough o be a collector's item or is just a 12 yr old car with gremlins in its electrical system? So what make, model, engine and year?

Likely, your rear wipers are operated by a circuit board that contains a "pulse wipe"/ delay function. That could be misbehaving. But you'd think the wiper should shut down if its control switch (on the dash or steering column) was turned off. This is a concern if this thing is taking off on its own. If the control switch is on a stalk on the steering column, the driver may inadvertently activate it.

An engine with fuel injectors may occassionally sputter if there is a load of old fuel in the gas tank. If the car has sat for 2 to 3 months with a load of fuel with 10% alcohol, the alcohol attract moisture and may have absorbed enough water to degrade the fuel. A fresh tank of gasoline can alleviate this problem. However, if the trouble is electrical, then other measures must be employed.

I can think of problems with an old fashioned distributor with points, but I am betting your car does not have such.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 12:31AM
More Discussions
truck locked up tight
350 in 96 1500 locked up tight. Just driving down the...
timlynn
Dying transmission question
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that has served me well...
catherinet
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Surya Rugs Smithsonian Gray Blue 2 ft.
Home Depot
MR16 Well Light by Hinkley Lighting
$72.22 | Lumens
Full 350TC Flat Sheet - WHITE/GOLD
$84.00 | Horchow
Fontana Coffee Table by FontanaArte
$1,910.00 | Lumens
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Standard Furniture Hester Heights 2 Piece Panel Headboard Bedroom Set
Beyond Stores
"Paxton" Coffee Table