QUIET hood for 48" Wolf gas stove?

kath0000March 12, 2013

Hello all,

Looking at a custom kitchen and Wolf appliances including a 48" gas stove. I have trouble with the crazy noise of the hoods though so don't use them often enough, in our current home. For our new home, can someone recommend an appropriate hood that is actually QUIET and doesn't sound like a 747 taking off when on even a low setting?

Thanks! Kath

This post was edited by kath0000 on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 2:32

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaseki

You might start with searching for "clinresga" using Google and targeting this site: ths.gardenweb.com. He has a ventilation system that is probably as quiet as residential hood parts will achieve. I don't recall that it was for 48-inches though.

My largest Wolf Pro-Island hood is large enough and is used with a Wolf/Broan 1500 cfm roof fan and in-line silencer [muffler] by Fantech. It is quiet enough to talk under at full speed while wok cooking, but I wouldn't call it quiet. I'm not sure the usual meaning of quiet is possible using a normal hood (perforated ceiling system perhaps). I suspect that a similar flow rate commercial up-blast fan might be a bit quieter, albeit more obvious on the roof. Most noise from my setup is air turbulence at the baffles, but some motor rumble and lower duct and hood transition turbulence is perceptible.

In any case, it is apparent that you are just starting the glorious journey into the complexities of kitchen ventilation, and should perhaps review the references at my Clippings, reached via My Page on this site.

Also, search on MUA on this forum. What goes out has to be replaced. You cannot put in a hood suitable for serious cooking on a 48-inch range without providing make-up air from somewhere; this somewhere cannot be from back-drafting combustion appliances; and unless you live in a climate like San Diego but without any dust, this air will have to filtered and probably heated and have its own blower.

Think of this as your next hobby for a while. Or find a HVAC firm that can spell MUA.

kas

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 11:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kath0000

Thanks for your comments. WOW, I had no idea this was so complex. Now DH and I are discussing the stovetop being on the island (so he can see the TV in the FR while cooking). I guess that adds another level of complexity into the whole vent issue. SIGH.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Wall oven caution - IKEA/Nutid/Datid/Whirlpool
This post is meant to steer people away from IKEA Nutid,...
detroit_burb
Bosch Speed Microwave Oven vs. GE Advantium?
We had a GE Advantium for 7 years and used it 2-3 times...
erikgerard
New Bluestar RCS model - Any Info? (RCS366BV2)
Most of the 36" RCS models are RCS36IRV1 right...
kwest2
Coffee Machines
What is the best built in coffee machine for your buck?...
J Saleh
Any thoughts about Bosch and GE Profile appliances?
I am building a passive house and trying to choose...
di77ce
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™