Electric Problem? 2003 Dodge Dakota

arlenebJune 8, 2009

2003 Dodge Dakota 6cyl 3.9 liter

seems to occur after rain--lights won't work, brake lights work, but not tail lights. Head lights do not work, although once before, the lights stayed on and would not shut off.

Sometimes electric door lock keeps locking and unlocking by itself.

On dash indicator lights such as check oil, ABS etc all stay lit while running..

After it's started the miles indicator first shows the mileage, then it begins flashing and then shows the words no buS or no bu5.

Checked all fuses under the hood and in door jam and they are ok. Followed all the wiring the best I could see there isn't a bare spot or break or "pulled away" look. This happens occasionally after a rain. This last time, normal state has not returned with dry weather as it did before.

Any ideas for a fix?

Harold

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earl53

No answer, because any answer will be guesses in circles. Sounds like a flood car. Your lights and cluster and door locks relays are shutting on and off for a fact, this i know, but the source issue is in the main harness connections and looks like a rewire job. You may get lucky and find heavy gauge connecors at the starter area are corroded.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 8:24PM
arleneb

Thanks earl53, we know it's not a flood car, I will make sure to check those heavy guage connectors at the starter area.
Harold

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 8:29PM
john_g

Until proven otherwise, approach each failure as if they are occurring on different cars. The biggest mistake people make when attempting diagnostics is assuming things are related, they can be, but certainly don't have to be. So pick one, and troubleshoot it, then move onto another. If you happen to solve more than one with a particular repair, simply smile and move on.

The headlights, tail-lights. They share a common power input to the headlight switch on most vehicles, but not all. Start with a schematic and check to see how the power distribution feeds power to the switch assembly. Question, do you have high beams when you pull the dimmer handle for "flash to pass"?

No Bus. That means the serial data bust has shut down on the car. Unfortunately, that will be a failure that is likely beyond your ability to diagnose. You need the Chrysler DRBIII scan tool and its strength as the factory tool, plus a digital storage oscilloscope to diagnose that problem efficiently.

The locks locking/unlocking by themselves could be a result of the failing data bus, or simply a bad door switch, with the previous being more likely at the moment. When the BCM sees serial data report that the vehicle is moving it locks the doors. Once it sees that the vehicle has been stopped and shifted to park, it unlocks the doors. The loss of serial data could cause this to occur incorrectly.

The fact that it occurs after its been raining could indeed be a clue. We often find modules damaged by water intrusion on many different vehicles. Sometimes things like a windshield seal are to blame. One vehicle I can think of off hand has a TSB where the technician has to install a set of shields to protect a new computer from rainwater when its replaced. (Not a Chrysler vehicle that comes to mind, this is just a reference)

You really do need a pro to sort this out. One that understands electronics, and has the correct equipment to communicate with your cars computers.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 5:47AM
More Discussions
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
Brake fluid flush
I've had new brakes installed in the past. However,...
africanboy
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
Sponsored Products
Tan & Espresso Waterproof Seat Cover
$24.99 | zulily
Greek Design Solid Brass Quadruple Push Button Plate
Signature Hardware
CXL Aged Bronze Ceiling Fan with 56-Inch Custom Carved Ophelia Walnut/Vintage Ma
$313.20 | Bellacor
GLOBE 4 in. IC Rated Energy Star Integrated White LED Recessed Lighting Kit 9007
Home Depot
Tough-1 Great Grips Hoof Cleaning Brushes - 6 Pack - 68-9186-0-0
$33.99 | Hayneedle
LighTunes Lamps 16.5 in. Wood Grain Bluetooth Speaker Lamp with Alarm Clock FM
$79.98 | Home Depot
Emerson F490 4-Light Transitional Fitter - F490AW
$90.00 | Hayneedle
Riata Aged Bronze Ceiling Fan with 56-Inch Custom Carved Chamberlain Walnut Blad
$351.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™