Would this damage my car?

YellowMellow_in_NHJune 27, 2005

Hello,

I just learned about this "Underground Exterminator" product (please follow link below). Sounds like it could fix my garden pest problem. However, a friend tells me that if the engine is forced to run for 15-30 minutes exhausting into a garden hose, it might get damaged before the 30 minutes were up.

What do you think?

Many thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Underground Exterminator

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DNT1

Probably not, but a large amount of backpressure could possibly cause a burnt valve so I would use one of my older vehicles. I have a old smokey jeep that would be perfect. I am going to stop and get the adaptor this afternoon, goodbye moles, I may try it on the groundhogs too since they keep eating down my garden hmmm

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 6:50PM
YellowMellow_in_NH

Lucky you! Both our vehicles are less than two years old. DH isn't sure either and I don't want to find out the hard (expensive) way. Anyway, if you do get this adaptor and try it, let me know if it worked. I really need to get rid of those darn gluttons before my heirloom tomatoes start producing.

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 8:33PM
cseyer

Dont do it you can easily damage you catalytic converter/muffler/etc. by creating artifical backpressure. Besides that this product DOES NOT WORK. Gurantee or not my neighbor ran his old pickup for HOURS to try to get the moles and it didnt make a dent. Really thinking about it yes exhaust in an airtight space would kill a mole. Do you think the tunnels under your lawn are airtight? Not a chance.

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 8:52AM
airforceguy

My grandma used to kill skunks by the exhaust of her car on the farm!! Lay out a special all enclosed trap. Skunk goes in, door shuts behind it. then hooked up the attached hose to the car!! not sure how long she ran the car though!!

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 1:41PM
mikie_gw

Smart necked moles will tunnel back under your car so while you're sitting there enjoying your newspaper in the car you find yourself dozing off. Moles get a kick out of being tricky little devils.

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 4:54PM
mxyplx

12 years ago we had a terrible mole problem in the veggie garden after a winter of exceptionally heavy rain. Tried lots that didn't work. Finally piped the xost from my old P/U into the tunnel network which covered the garden. Let it run a long time. Well I stood there watching things and after a while didn't feel so damn very good. IN fact got sicker'n'ell.

The xost drove me out of the garden - not the moles.

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 10:08PM
jemdandy

You don't need to go to the trouble of hooking up your car to a varmit tunnel. Small smoke bombs are available in garden centers. I found these effective in driving out groundhogs. These will either kill the varmit in their den or drive them out their alternate entryway.

Moles are an entirely different matter. They make a complex network of tunnels, but the mound of dirt is over their nest. Moles are nearly blind but cringe in bright light. They are extremely sensitive to sound and ground vibration. They hear/feel your approach long before you get to their lairs. Many years ago when I lived on a farm and our family depended on a garden. We found the most effective deterrent was the old fashioned mole trap. Its not humane nor elegant, but properly applied, it works.

Locate the nest mound. Go a short distance away on the main tunnel and set the trap. Press the tunnel down to almost close the tunnel over a short distance, say 6 to 8 inches, and set the trap with the treddle on top of the collasped part of the tunnel. The trap is tripped when a mole passes through this tunnel again.

If you must try engine exhaust, try a lawn mower engine, the bigger the better, maybe an old 2 cycle Lawn Boy. Don't use a motorcycle. Many motorcycle engines depend on motion through the air to cool the cylinders and heads. The air cooked ones overheat if left standing too long.

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 5:08AM
More Discussions
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
Brake fluid flush
I've had new brakes installed in the past. However,...
africanboy
Sponsored Products
Glass Lamp: 28.5 in. Chrome and Metal Glass Table Lamp 5025
Home Depot
King's Table Wall Sconce No. 1312 by Feiss
$268.00 | Lumens
PlateBowlCup Teacup -Set of 4 by Alessi
$40.00 | Lumens
FANMATS Floor Mats Kansas State University Heavy Duty Vinyl 31 in. x 31 in.
$39.97 | Home Depot
Britax Parkway SG Booster Car Seat - Gridline - E9LM24U
$104.00 | Hayneedle
'Darling My Darling' Sign
$69.99 | zulily
Nexus wall clock -26"
Origin Crafts
"Hobson" Hide Ottoman - GRAY
$1,500.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™