Recommendation for a high power hood with heat lamp

boxtaMarch 30, 2012

hi all,

just planning my remodel, and planning to get an open burner 36 range (CC or bluestar).

also planning to get a high shelf on the range, and get a hood with heatlamp to keep the food warm while i am cooking

i am looking for a nice looking (modern) hood (probably 42) that has good cfm (probably 900 or 1200?)... relatively quiet (maybe external??) .. and has a heat lamp built in..

i did some research.. and seems like viking / wolf chimney could fit the bill.. but i can't tell how the noise level is or reliability

can anyone please share experience??

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deeageaux

Capital makes a pro canopy style hood with heat lamps.

Capital Performance Series PSVH

36" -60" wide 25" deep 600 or 1200cfm with infinite fan speed control.

18 guage 304 SS with seamless construction

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 2:33AM
boxta

i have a relatively high ceiling open kitchen where nothing is above the range.. so imo the canopy style or other pro looking hood doesn't really look that great (with a long duct extending out the canopy to the ceiling)

chimney style probably would look better

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 3:03AM
docsknotinn

I have a Viking with heat lamp. I'd give a lot of thought to the idea of putting a 42" hood over a 36" range. While that may have some popularity in this forum it's a fairly unusual configuration and one you likely may not need with a range unless you are mounting a hood higher than normal. Cabinet placement could impact that as well.
Before you select an appropriate CFM consider having a qualified installer come look at your home.
The length of your exhaust run as well as the diameter of the exhaust and how many turns in the exhaust venting can have a dramatic impact on the CFM you need. Every 90 degree turn in your exhaust vent results in a substantial loss of CFM.
If you want quiet get the external blower. FWIW my Viking hood is now 12 years old and never a single problem. (knocks on wood)
Width is not nearly as important as depth (IMO) in your hood. Unfortunately you may have to go wide to get deep. :(
Enjoy the new kitchen!

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 2:00PM
MichelleDT

Have you looked at Modern Aire? They have heat lamps, pot rails, contemporary hoods, inline, remote, silencers and can customize or build your dream hood.

From all of my research and in talking to Trevor and the local Bluestar rep, I plan to extend 3" on each side and go 27" deep for our range. I want the largest capture area possible and extended width helps with that.

Good luck with your decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Aire Accessories

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Best place to buy appliance parts
I have a GE range (6 yrs of age) for which I need parts....
puzzlefan
Jenn Air Counter Depth Refrigerator
Hi, We will probably be getting the Jenn Air counter...
C C
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
gas oven ignitor help
I recently picked up a great amana self clean gas oven,...
billhiggs
48 inch Bertazoni Dual Fuel or MIELE Range and Combi Oven Steamer
I am putting my options of getting the range. I have...
hkwan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™