is this plumber estimate outrageous?

Braque17February 3, 2012

We are gutting our kids' bathroom so essentially replacing everything. We got a plumbers' estimate today and it came to just under $7K -just for his work alone! is this within reason? we are in the NY area so I realize things are always more expensive here but still...

His work includes installing all of the fixtures, roughing in hot and cold water lines, as well as vent piping and new PVC waste piping, supply and install shower pan, permits.

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

Get a minimum of three estimates from licensed plumbers in your area and I suspect you will find that bid is very competitive.

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 1:12AM
sserra85

I want to say it sounds high, but I also went with the first quote I was given. For 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, all new baseboard, and replacing all the cast iron pipes (which we removed ourselves) with pvc I paid 5k, in NJ.

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 10:43AM
jannie

To give you a comparison, we spent $15,000 on a remodeled bathroom in 2005. I have since found out you can save a lot by doing the demolition/tearout yourself. Our plumber worked with a contractor on our bath remodel. The contractor moved from NY to California. He may even be retired.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Showers 101
I'm hoping there is someone who can direct me to a...
jpbenstock
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
What kind of tile is this?
I am doing a partial renovation of a bathroom and I...
vandylaw06
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™