Vent suggestions?

weimomMarch 18, 2012

I have decided on the Wolf gas 36 inch cooktop and now need to decide on a hood for it. I really don't know much about vents, as I have had a downdraft in the past. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
polie

To make a long story short, the past posts have convinced me to buy a hood from ModernAire. Get one 6 inches wider than your stovetop; preferably 27 inches deep; total number of your stovetop's BTU divided by 100 to arrive at the CFM capacity; and avoid sharp turns in the ductwork.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and do a search on hood or vent and you will get more details explaining what you should buy than you can imagine!

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 10:30AM
weimom

Thanks Polie!

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 11:42AM
brickeyee

A remote blower can help lower the noise level, especially when it is variable sped and you are not using it at full power.

At full power almost any blower is going to make some noise.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 12:05PM
Madeline616

Weimom,

Have the 36" Wolf DF.

Researched hoods to death, had tons of great help from GWers, and decided to go with Best by Broan 48" wide hood (the kind built into a custom wood cabinet hood), with in-line blower in the attic suspended in a "cage" type thing my cabinetmaker built. It's so quiet it's ridiculous. And it's gorgeous!!

Went with 48" b/c mine is a little higher above the cooktop than typical, so i wanted more capture. Turns out the more vents/fins result in quieter operation.

Good luck!

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
What electric oven to get? speed oven, combo-steam, or regular?
If I am going to go with an all gas range, which would...
nismo99
miele dishwasher gold substance explosion
i had a new water heater installed this morning and...
abenyjones
High end appliances thermador vs. dacor
I currently have dacor ovens. I am trying decide brands...
mcaprizs
Need A New Keurig - Suggestions?
Our Keurig at the lake bit the dust. The single cup...
amck2
New Bertazzoni Induction Range?
I just saw a press release from Bertazzoni about a...
ltislander
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™