Would like opinions on our floor plan

donaldd678February 8, 2013

Hello, this is our first time building a custom home (or any home for that matter). We would like opinions on this floor plan for the 1st floor. We plan on being 4 bed/4.5 bath and will figure out the second floor once we get the first floor pinned down. Any advice or opinions is appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Naf_Naf

I like it. It is a good start.
2 Comments:

-It does not make sense to have those 2 columns up front if that area will not be an usable porch - unless you have french doors instead of a window.

-It is not that nice entering the house thru the laundry room. For a house like "this", is not expected.
If you agree, this is something that you could do:
shift the single garage to align with the kitchen/butler wall. Place the laundry between garage and masterbath, You only need to extend the hall a few feet to reach the laundry. The laundry will have all the windows you want. That also will unify the 2 garages /back entry area and you could have a mud bench/closet/cabinets in the hallway.

If you are ok with no windows in the laundry, then you could switch laundry and master closet. The mastercloset will work better next to the bathroom. Either way, you can have a door communicating closet and laundry. I know many people like that possibility.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:51AM
renovator8

Nice work; I appreciate the use of a sketch instead of a computer drawing at this design stage.

I recommend developing a rough plan of the second floor now.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 8:21

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:58AM
ILoveRed

I am not an architect like the 2 above but love Naf nafs idea.

A house this nice should have a nice side entry that does not lead guests through your laundry room.

I like the split garages. Is there any way you could have a nice little porched entry designed between that area?

I am a sucker for 2 stairways.

What kind of facade do you anticipate?

Looks like a nice start.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 10:14AM
chicagoans

For a house this size the DR looks a bit small. Try penciling in your table and chairs to scale and see how much room you have between the chair backs (pushed out like someone is sitting there) and the wall. Looks like it will be fine if there is no other furniture along the long wall, but if you have a buffet, china cabinet, etc. it might be tight for people walking behind anyone seated. Certainly not a show stopper but this looks like a great house for entertaining so just thought I'd mention it if you host large dinner parties (and/or have a large china cabinet.) Looks like a nice house!

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 10:33AM
zone4newby

There isn't going to be much natural light in the kitchen or family room. These are the spaces you are most likely to use during the day.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 11:06AM
chispa

I would switch positions of media room and guest suite. I would rather have a public room at the back with more windows and french doors to the patio. It can then be a more flexible space and be used as a media room, playroom or pool table room.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 11:25AM
kirkhall

I like Naf's suggestions...if your utility will in fact be your laundry area. But, if you plan to have your main laundry upstairs, and this utility area is mostly your family entrance/mudroom, this works okay, imo.
Having a side entry from outside would still be useful though, so if someone pulls up and just wants to park in the driveway (or get home off the bus) and want to go into the mudroom/utility, they wouldn't have to open a garage door.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Doorstopper Dillema
We moved in about 2 weeks ago and are really happy....
aimless07
Floorplan advice
We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids ages 3 and 10...
Butternut
After building....items you wish you would have thought of..
Hello, for those of you that built a house. After...
einajr
Frank Betz Chapman from Start to Finish
Following in the footsteps of 'jnjmom,' our family...
trulygrateful
Protecting hardie from splash up?
Our builder is wanting us to add a few layers of brick...
akaypick
Sponsored Products
Hudson Valley Burton Transitional Floor Lamp
1800Lighting
GG Livingstone Taupe Ceramic Mugs- Set of 4
Classic Hostess
'Thank You For Helping Me Grow' Personalized Flower Pen
$12.99 | zulily
British Colonial Outdoor Ottoman with Cushion, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Kirkland Old Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture
$428.00 | Bellacor
Series 7735 Opal/Silver Foil Bronze Four-Light Bath Fixture
$630.00 | Bellacor
Hand-crafted Solid Green Casual Brenta Wool Rug (12' x 15')
Overstock.com
Softest Rug 6' x 9' - CREAM
$1,599.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™