What are Second Generation airbags?

cardamomJune 20, 2007

I'm looking at a used car. The dealership listing the equipment includes Second Generation airbags. The carfax report doesn't list any accident notations and my idea is that it means the airbags have been replaced, therefore, the current ones are second generation.

Is that right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kalining

Yes.

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 10:41AM
bob_k

NO! Second generation is a design that is better than the first. Some mfg. are installing third gen. air bags.

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 1:20PM
steve_o

Second-generation airbags deploy less violently than first-gen airbags. This helps children and smaller adults suffer fewer injuries (or deaths) than when a first-gen airbag (designed for full-sized American adults) comes shooting at them. Third-generation airbags use multiple sensors to determine things like the weight or trajectory of the passenger, impact speed, etc, to tailor the airbag's deployment most effectively.

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 9:54PM
johndeere

I thought it meant my wife?My mother inlaw was the first generation airbag?Kidding of course!

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 1:13PM
ojoy

Can second or third generation airbags be retrofitted in a car that has first generation airbags?

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 12:48AM
john_g

Second and third generation airbag systems would not easily be retrofitted into an older car. Today's electronics often communicate between multiple modules. An air bag system may well communicate with the ABS, the instrument panel, the body computer, and PCM as well as it's own nodes. A node that would exists in a third gen system could be the seat pressure sensor which in effect weighs the passenger of that seat and hepls to determine the required strength of an air bag deployment.

Suffice it to say, I would not even attempt to do anything but keep each car exactly as it was originally designed. If you really want a car with thrid gen restraints, buy one.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 9:29AM
cmandcm_aol_com

wondering if second generation air bags could mean vehicle has been through an acident

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 1:10PM
emschobel_gmail_com

after the statistics came out about how many children and smaller adults were injured by airbags, vehicle manufacturers developed second generation airbags. they are designed to deploy more slowly and only if the impact requires it to deploy. Instead of having sensors at the front bumper they moved them into the passenger compartment to measure the force that is being transferred to the passengers inside the vehicle. If the force inside the vehicle is not suffcient to injure the passengers, the airbags do not deploy. They will also not deploy on some vehicles if the sensor in the seat does not detect enough weight to know whether the passenger is a child or small adult.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 11:26AM
susanjn

About what model year did they start using second generation airbags?

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
Sponsored Products
Justice Design Group GLA-8815 - Pendants 1 Light Mini Pendant - Tulip with Rippl
$178.20 | Hayneedle
Stilo 10 Satin Nickel Three-Light Mini Pendant with Honey Glass
$603.00 | Bellacor
Wood Molding & Trim: Bruce Flooring Tobacco Barn Hickory 3/8 in. Thick x 2 3/4
$72.39 | Home Depot
Serenade Yours Silver Jacobean Cafe Noir Pendant
$495.00 | Bellacor
Cole & Co. 31" Custom Collection Medium Classic Vanity - Antique Brown
Modern Bathroom
Nico Bronze Two-Light Bath Fixture with Stone Copper Foil Glass
$256.50 | Bellacor
Chelsea 675-BB Alexa Swivel Chair - Bulldozer Burgundy/Bi-cast Black - 675-BB