a/c question

joe_mnJune 13, 2005

The compressor on my 96 dodge intrepid siezed. I decided to stick in a used compressor and when I vented the freon (bad) I figured I only got several ounces of gas to come out. I had 1/3 can of freon handy and hooked it up to the low side port and the compressor sucked it in. I decided to add another can and the a/c is blowing cold. I only had the system open for 5 mins at the most and I assume very little air got into the system. what is the opinion on whether or not I should have the system evacuated and recharged?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brianl703

Any air at all in the system will reduce cooling efficiency. I'd suggest getting it evacuated.

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 2:22PM
mikie_gw

Some humidity will freeze up an orifice and it'll quit cooling, then thaw & cool a bit more, freeze and pump out warm air and thaw. All the while little ice-crystals and acids eating away the shiny slip sliding parts. At least a pump down with new desicant or reciever and fresh coolant now or lots more costs later.

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 4:16PM
cowboyind

I agree with the others. This is definitely a case where all is not necessarily okay just because it works at the moment. I've seen compressors in this situation last two weeks or less. The problem is that your last compressor seized and may have dispersed metal shavings throughout the system that are now eating away at the new one, on top of the other issues already mentioned.

Protect the compressor you have now. Get the system evacuated and recharged as a minimum, and also consider replacing the accumulator or receiver/dryer (whichever this one has).

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 8:09PM
gary__

**Protect the compressor you have now. Get the system evacuated and recharged as a minimum, and also consider replacing the accumulator or receiver/dryer (whichever this one has).**

Keep in mind this is a 10 year old dodge. I doubt he wants to throw a lot of money at it. Though purging it would be a good idea, I can see taking a chance on it as is too at this point. If there were any particals in it the damage would be done by now. I don't think anything of any size could make it past the expansion valve anyway.

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 12:59AM
joe_mn

yes it is still working but I just do not feel comfortable leaving it as is. at least if it is evacuated I should find out if the system has any crud in it. the old compressor ports were clean.

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 8:52AM
earthworm

Even a Dodge should last at least 15 years; the air conditioner should be properly serviced - it is a very nice thing to have..
What the Cowboy and Mikie state is completely true , now if this were a 15 year old - that might be a different story...

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 10:13AM
More Discussions
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™