Bying used car (Mercedes 230C)

mpfeferJune 13, 2005

Hi all,

I dont know much about cars but I do like to buy a Mercedes 230C (Model 94 ->98). I want to know what should I check prior to bying such a car.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brianl703

The first concern about those cars would be that the oil change indicator is calibrated for synthetic oil but most places, even the Mercedes dealerships, put conventional oil in them.

So I would check the oil change history on the vehicle.

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 2:20PM
earthworm

About the same as any other car(service history, mechanics report, quality of the service provider).
That is an excellent point by Brian.
I am suspect of the "legendary Mercedes quality" of the 90s, it was good in the 80s, except for rust...

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 6:10PM
ndrewoods

Agree with what brian said. Check the oil change history. Also check the mileage of the car prior to buying it.

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 9:32PM
coolvt

The important thing to check in buying a used Mercedes is your wallet. If you start having problems many of the repairs have to be done by the dealer because local shops don't have the expertise to do them. Or the part needed is a "dealer only' item. I just got rid of a 2001 that needed a few things. For example..cooling fan started to sound noisy. Dealer estimate parts (new fan) $1,200 and 2 hours labor..$170. So in another car where a cooling fan might be $200 installed the Mercedes was going to be $1,370. I looked on line and the cheapest fan I could find was $950. In short, many times there is no other way to go, but to the dealer and you will pay dearly.
If you have a Mercedes under warranty you are okay. If it's not under warranty and you have a problem...well, as I said in the beginning...check your wallet. You will need a fat one.

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 4:13PM
More Discussions
2006 vw beetle
I have 2006 beetle and almost have it paid for. I am...
rabbit8
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Honda Accord 2014 or 2013 navigation
I'm looking at a 2014 Accord and wondering whether...
maryann0625
Running rich?
01 Taurus, Vulcan motor.owned for 4 months. Ran ok...
stoveguyy
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™