Tires Size

rabwabsabJune 13, 2005

Hello,

I have a Mazda 323 Model 94. The recommended tyre size for the car is 155/80 R13. However, I bought used ones and latter realized that they are 155/70 R13. I have now put on the new ones and apparently it did not make any difference. Do you know if it can cause a problem in some way?

Regards,

Amir

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

They are somewhat undersized. Your speedometer now will be inaccurate (you'll actually be going about 5% slower than the speedometer says you are).

And you should check the load range of the tires (it's a number stamped on the side of the tire, like 89H or 75S or somesuch, most likely listed after the size) against the load range that Mazda recommends (it's in your owner's manual or a tire store can tell you). The number on the tire should be the same or larger than Mazda's recommendation. If it is not, you will not be able to carry as much in the car as you may have before.

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 8:52AM
sdello

From your post I'm not exactly clear which way you're recent change just went, however 70's series tires are a lower profile (i.e. shorter that 80's series); the 155 is the width (in mm) and its the same for both sizes; as is the rim diameter (13 in.).

If the original tire specs are 80's series it means that the speedometer was calibrated at the larger diameter and will read high, as Steve_o pointed out, with 70's series on the car.

IMHO, it shouldn't matter worth a darn.

Here is a link that might be useful: tire calculator

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 3:04PM
rabwabsab

Thanks for the replies. I had a clue that my car will go slow now, keeping in view the small circumference of new tyres, at the same acceleration. I think its good to have higher reading on the speedometer then actual as it will save me from tickets :)

Thanks for the info, I feel more relaxed now.

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 6:12AM
More Discussions
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Hey All
This Is Sophie.I Am New To This Forum.
sophie18
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
2006 vw beetle
I have 2006 beetle and almost have it paid for. I am...
rabbit8
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™