Are all 302 engines alike?

dav2888June 26, 2005

I was wondering if all 302 engines are the same. If I took a 302 from a Bronco and put it in a mustang would it be the same as a 302 that would come from antoher mustang?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_h

yes and no, overall the same engine, but different oil pans, water pumps, exhaust manifolds etc, possibly some diff. in engine internals- crank pistons compresion ratio. etc. so check things out careful, b-4 proceeding.

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 5:22AM
jemdandy

There can be difference in accessories arrangements especially between engines with automatic versus automatic transmissions.

Watch out for differences of timing mark locations.

If you have electronic ignition controls, there can be running changes of the timing holes in the flywheel flex plate, changes in timing sensors, and required mathcing version of the computerized engine controller.

I changed a '92 Jeep 6 cy engine for a nearly new '96 engine. We discovered there were differences in the timing holes on the flywheel. We wanted to use the new fuel injectors, but these were different. Our solution was to convert the '96 engine to a '92 version. We moved the manifolds from the old engine to the new one and swapped the flywheel assemblies. Thereby, we could keep the existing engine controller, and there were no changes to the wiring harnesses or sensors.

We had to be satisfied with the old injectors.

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 5:58AM
brianl703

Some have roller cams instead of flat tappet cams. Others have stronger timing chains.

The electronic sensors for EEC-IV fuel injected models are the same between the various models. The only real difference would be the MAF sensor for engines so-equipped.

Oh, also, the non-HO versions have a different firing order than the HO-versions.

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 10:37AM
More Discussions
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
2006 vw beetle
I have 2006 beetle and almost have it paid for. I am...
rabbit8
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
Honda Accord 2014 or 2013 navigation
I'm looking at a 2014 Accord and wondering whether...
maryann0625
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™