Different Hardi Plank siding sizes..

lorriewFebruary 21, 2010

We are planning to put HardiPlank on our new house. We are not sure about the width we want to use. Could anyone that has it please post the different sizes 5,6 & 7 so I have a better idea. I searched because I figured this has come up before but didn't find anything. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lsst

If you mean the reveal, ours is 7 1/4.
The original width was 8 and we have a 3/4 overlap per board.

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 10:19AM
stayn2busy

Our Hardieplank reveal is 6 1/2in. I've posted a couple pics in the "February's How's your build progressing". Ours came primed yellow and we will be painting it with a "lifetime" paint (for what that's worth...lol!!)We used MiraTEC for trim.

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 2:18PM
macv

The size of HardiPlank lap siding is given in "widths" of the individual pieces and the "exposure" (the visible part) is 1 1/4" smaller.

In the northeast, a maximum width 8 1/4" HardiPlank has an exposure of 7" and there are three smaller sizes each an inch less in width and exposure. The choice would be between 4", 5", 6", and 7" exposures. In the rest of the country there are two larger exposures: 8" and 10 1/4"

In New England traditional wood clapboard siding has a 4" exposure and the larger exposures are more commonly used in less traditional houses or in milder climates to the south and west.

Not knowing where you live or the style of your house makes it difficult to advise you.

A "reveal" is a much smaller setback usually at trim board corners.

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 10:11AM
lorriew

Yes, I am sorry I wasn't very clear, I was working on getting a nasty migraine :(. I was looking for the exposure size. I was looking for some different pictures of how the they actually look on a house. Most of the older threads I found the photobuckets were inactive. We are building a Craftsman style home Castle Rock by Frank Betz. My husband, my builder, was thinking about going with the 7" exposure but the house is a bit cut up so I was thinking about going with 5 or 6 with the actual reveal. I prefer a bit of a thinner look. I am in the Northeast in Md btw. Thanks all!!

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 1:28AM
srercrcr

Here's my 7" exposure.....

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 5:31AM
virgilcarter

Builders tend to like the larger sizes since it lets them put up the necessary coverage with less labor.

The smaller sizes, however, are more historically accurate, plus their smaller visual scale often results in a better aethestic.

In my opinion, I'd never go larger than 6" and feel smaller is usually better.

Good luck on your project.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
New here. Please critique my house plan sketch, thanks
Hello. We are a family of 5 hoping to build a house...
angeliquereagan
Other places to purchase building materials besides HD and Lowes?
I want to see if there are other suppliers of building...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Master bath/closet suggestions
My wife and I are planning on building a house. We...
stancial
New Build Floorplan, timberframe house, input appreciated
So I’m yet another person looking for input on a floorplan....
am_e
Need help with rigid foam and wall insulation
I am designing a house in Northern Arkansas and am...
josh02_2001
Sponsored Products
Ravens Contemporary Twin over Futon Bunk Bed with Futon Mattress - IDF-BK1034-AG
$539.99 | Hayneedle
Illumine Lamps 24.5 in. Satin Steel Table Lamp CLI-LS427803
Home Depot
Modernist Shingle Floor Lamp in White
ModernistLighting.com
Joy Carpets Bookworm Area Rug - 1419-B-GREEN
$126.70 | Hayneedle
Spider-Man Issue #50 Wrapped Canvas
$64.99 | zulily
Westinghouse Lighting Shades 8 in. White Acrylic Globe with 4 in. Fitter 8190000
$9.86 | Home Depot
Stilo 7 Satin Nickel One-Light Mini Pendant with Blue Cloud Glass
$234.00 | Bellacor
Authentic Pestemal Fouta Original Sky Blue Stripe Turkish Cotton Bath/ Beach Tow
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™