Should I repair Chevy Venture?

evets581May 19, 2008

I have a 2000 Chevy Venture with 120000 miles on it. It needs a new transmission and a gasket at the intake manifold for $2800. Blue Book for a car in "good" condition at trade in value is about $2800. Not sure if I should repair this vehicle. Any thoughts..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gary__

Sounds like it's not worth anything in it's current state. That being the case, one way to look at it is to ask yourself if you'd pay $2800 for that car in working order if you were going to buy it. If the answer is yes, fix it. If the answer is no, don't.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 8:04PM
jemdandy

If the $2800 repair will get you 2 more years of service, then its worth it. This works out to $1400 per year barring any other major repair which is a reasoable cost of ownership. In its present condition, it is worth only junk price, not blue book. With the repair, two years down the road, it will be worth as much or more than its present value provided it is running well and not burning/leaking too much oil, and not rusted through.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 10:24PM
exgm

I had a similar issue last July when my Lumina Van blew a head gasket. About the same mileage, w/ 3.4
It didn't take me long to decide to scrap it, because it's value was equal to the repair (and that's assuming the repair went precisely by the book). Anything else turn up, the repair would cost more than it's value, and what next on the horizon - who knows. The Lumina Van's engine is a bear to work on cause it's buried so deep - unless you remove it of course. Only my take, salt environment for me, so corrosion was there, brake lines etc would come due, it all adds up fast. If yours is pristine and ran in a dry environment, then maybe. I just don't have a lot of faith in that 90 deg V6, I've had 3, all problematic, only one left to go.

Bookmark   May 25, 2008 at 9:13PM
waddles

My 2000 Chevy Venture van had the transmission replaced at 100,000 and I am still driving it. Unfortunately the air is not working for the 4th time so I am looking for a new vehicle. But I have gotten 30,000 more miles out of it since the new transmission.

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 1:33PM
ky114

Look at it like this: That van WILL be repaired -- by someone. If it looks decent, the engine runs, the accessories work and it has an acceptable interior, someone will fix it and use it. All the "maybes" of other stuff that could go wrong, that's true of any used car of this age and price. So, assuming you don't want to go out and buy a new vehicle, the choice is between this used car, used by you, or some other used car used by someone else -- a car that they, for some reason, decided at this point to get rid of. I vote for the one you already know something about.

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 2:31PM
tjbaretta_aol_com

So evets581, what did you end up deciding? I am now in the same boat at 128K miles.

Bookmark   February 2, 2009 at 9:56AM
More Discussions
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™