Car top carriers

blgrosMay 4, 2009

I have a 05 Honda Odyssey minivan.

What do I look for in a cartop carrier? I assume they all come with the proper connections for the rails on the roof. Do I just look at size and price?

thanks

Bryan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_a

I don't know what you're planning on carrying, but I would strongly recommend going with Yakima or Thule systems. Both make quality products that are very flexible in the applications and types of loads, and are quality products. If you're looking at price, yes, they are expensive. But do you want your stuff blowing off the top of your car at 70 mph? I have a Yakima system that I got used (through Craiglist, I think) several years ago, and then augmented with parts to fit my particular car. I've carryed 4 bikes plus a big bag of clothing, at cruising speeds, and it was rock solid. Proper installation is a must, of course. YOu can go on-line to either company's site and see what you need for your vehicle. You can also go to REI and talk to someone knowledgeable; I think they sell Yakima.

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 8:45AM
casey_wa

Steve makes a great point...and this is the reason why I am a Thule fan for both my bike carrier and rooftop carrier. Some of the other stuff is flimsy and leaks if raining. Yakima is good too.

Casey
"Sean McDonagh Racing"

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 9:35PM
gogarden65

Get a unit that locks securely, both to protect the contents from stealing and also to keep the top from popping open in transit.

THULE and Yakima are great choices. A nice comparison chart can be found at http://www.cartopcarriershops.com/comparecartopcarriers.html. The chart lists prices/sizes/volumes and also whether the carrier opens from both sides.

It's nice to have the cargo on the roof to leave the hitch open for carrying bicycles.

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 2:24PM
blgros

Finally made it to REI and got the info I was looking for. Basically, I first need to get crossbars for my roof. The Odyssey, for some reason, comes with the side rails, but no crossbars. They guy said there was really no difference in the Yakima round bars and the Thule square bars for carriers.

Then, either carrier brand will fit on any crossbars. Bike racks and whatever else also fit on the crossbars.

I quickly looked into the Honda crossbars, and it seems the price is about the same as Thule or Yakima--probably around $200. I think the Honda uses screws to attach and the others you can get with locks. There is some indication that the Honda crossbars are not as thick and strong as the aftermarket brands, so I'll go with one of those.

Thanks for the notes.

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 1:05AM
More Discussions
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
Dying transmission question
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that has served me well...
catherinet
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™