Chrome or brushed nickel ?

eks6426February 28, 2012

Thinking about faucets. I have always had chrome in the bathroom. It has spotted with water and gets a film on it. As I plan the new bathroom, I am considering the brushed nickel. Does it spot and get films more or less than chrome? Do the surfaces of certain manufacturers look better or are easier to maintain ..ie Kohler vs delta vs grohe etc.? Any major advantages between chrome vs brushed nickel?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rufinorox

We went with brushed nickel. I prefer the look and cleaning of brushed nickel.

These are Kohler fixtures.

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 10:54PM
try-it

Hi, I had oil rubbed bronze and the finish wore off in about 3 years. I'm going to try the brushed nickel in my remodel that I'm doing now. Hope it will last better,. Good luck to you,

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 11:32PM
sable_ca

We have had Kohler Bancroft satin nickel in our reno-ed front bath for four years and it looks like new. All it needs is an occasional wipe with a damp cloth. If the shower fixture gets a bit of film I just gently rub on a small bit of Bar Keeper's Friend and it's fine. We are also putting it in our master bath.

Our satin nickel looks a lot like Rufinorox's brushed nickel. Both finishes have a warm glow that IMO is nicer than chrome.

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 12:36AM
eks6426

Thank you. What about polished nickel? I kind of like the sparkle of chrome but also like the warmth of nickel. Thoughts?

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 11:31PM
writersblock

I myself prefer chrome. It's never hyper trendy, but it never becomes embarrassingly dated fifteen years later, either, the way most other finishes eventually do.

I love the look of polished nickel, but it's often what is called a "living" finish, meaning it needs more upkeep than your grandmother's sterling does. Ask marcolo.

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 10:34AM
rsvlle-nj

I love chrome and went with Kohler in my shower and Hansgrohe for the sinks.

I will tell you that the chrome in the shower wipes clean with no spotting and the Hansgrohe does not wipe clean as easily.

For my second bathroom I'm doing Hansgrohe in the shower (I love the valve that they have...it's a 3-in-one and is already installed) and will have to deal with any cleaning issues. I'm not sure which faucet I will go with for that sink.

I think that no matter what the finish, or the manufacturer...they all clean up (and last) differently.

Having said all this...I love the look of the choices that I made for my MB.

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 10:34AM
busybee3

i LOVE our polished nickel!! and, ours requires NO additional upkeep than chrome does... and i have several different brands of PN in our bath!! a simple wipe down and it's beautiful!
[i couldn't imagine buying any finish that required care similar to sterling---that would be crazy!!]

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 12:02PM
compumom

I had 3 baths to redo and used polished nickel or chrome in this phase of the remodel. I have satin nickel in the kitchen (done in 03). We preferred the crispness of polished metal. Nickel's our favorite (warmer tone), but if price is an object and this specific bathroom is a non important room, then I'd save the money and go for chrome (we used Kohler). My powder room is polished nickel from Restoration and the master is Rohl. All good choices. In our shower we have Newport Brass valves and Grohe shower heads. After showering, we wipe them down with our towels to avoid water spots.

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 2:33PM
andreadeg

In my master bath I have polished nickel, kohler faucets. The PN really is lovely; it has a warmth that goes lovely with the crema marfil marble.

upstairs, I had existing white ceramic tile that I wanted to keep, and so I went with chrome because I felt that compimented the crisp white tile a little better.

Both are nice; it just depends on the look you are going for.

I've never worked with satin nicke.

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 7:55PM
sombreuil_mongrel

There's also brushed chrome or matte chrome to consider.
Casey

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Need help with master bath layout
Hello everyone I am designing my master bathroom. And...
adrituerk
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Shower screen
I am looking to change my bathroom from a separate...
timcar
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™