Problems with my 2000 Pontiac Grand GT

tab_bMay 26, 2009

First off my check engine light is on, so I there is something wrong with my car. I don't know anything at all about cars was wondering if someone might know what could be wrong and about how much it's going to cost me.

Problem:

As I am driving my car seems to not get into the right gear, and the RMP thing goes up to 4 when this happens. This doesn't happen every time I drive, and doesn't always happen at the same speed. Now I have notices the this seems to happen at 30 MPH, 40 MPH or 55 MPH. Also when I am going up hill is seems to slip out of gear and my MPH start to drop without me taking my foot off the gas, and again the RPMs start to go up. If I take my foot off the gas and repress it down something I can get into gear, and something I have to keep trying over and over. I have ask a few friends about this issue and they have all said many different things, but none of them really knows cars. I hope someone can help me on here. I am thinking it is going to cost me a lot cause this cars seems to need something "not cheap" replaced about every 6 months, and I am due for another big bill. Thanks for anyone who takes the time to help me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

Take your car to a shop before you blow up the engine from an over-speed.

There are several things that may cause your problem. The first step is to read the trouble codes and get a good diagnostic by a qualified technican. From your description, it seems that the transmission is misbehaving, but this may not be the fault of the tranny itself. It could be other things like a bad sensor or low manifold vacuum.

The "4" on the RPM thingy is probably 4000 rpm.

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
Mercury Mountaineer electrical issue
Hi all hope someone can help...my 2002 mercury moutaineer....
ralmoy
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
Sponsored Products
Turner Leather Sofa - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
32 Gal. Curved Waste Receptacle w/Lid & Liner
Fifthroom.com
Watson Leather Bar Stool - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
K'NEX Family Guy Peter / Station Wagon and Stewie / Lois Building Set Bundle Mul
$33.95 | Hayneedle
Educational Insights Hot Dots Jr. Cards - Problem Solving - 2360
$22.99 | Hayneedle
Grey 42-Inch x 84-Inch Room-Darkening Backtab Window Curtain Panel
$29.99 | Bellacor
Boss N48-M Mahogany Coffee Table - N48-M
$95.38 | Hayneedle
Naturally Cooling Ceramic Wine Cooler by Magisso
$75.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™