Installation of Mosaic Behind Vanity

dandkmomFebruary 27, 2013

Getting ready for DIY remodel of bathroom and planning to install glass/stone mosaic behind the vanity. My hubby wants to tile the wall before installation of the vanity and wants to go below the height of the vanity and then caulk. I've never seen this done. Does this make sense?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sloyder

the vanity would need to be shimmed against the wall the thickness of the tile to be secured against the wall.. If the vanity does not fit between two walls you will have a gap between the wall and the cabinet.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 5:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent

I just did it a week ago.

That said, I talked the developer out of doing it again. The reason being that the plumbing sets usually used in higher end homes have very little coverage from the escucheons (cover plates) that cap the holes where the valve handles and spicket come thru the wall. In this case, I had 1/8". With a solid piece of tile (as opposed to mosaics), I can use a diamond holesaw, and make the perfect hole, and no issues with being covered. With the mosaics, first the hole in the wall board has to be perfect (I had to have the contractor cut out pieces and redo HIS holes), and then, each pittle piece of mosaic (in this case, 1/2" x1/2") has to be GROUND down (not cut) to size. Even then, it's is crap shoot as to whether or not it'll cover.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 8:41AM
More Discussions
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
Trying to reconfigure master bath to include washer dryer
How does this layout look? how could I make this space...
cinnamon01
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™