Can't Turn on the car sometimes

yan19454May 11, 2005

I hit the curb one time with my Saturn SL 2003. I changed the bumper and front frame after, Some one else some times hard to turn on the car. But after a few attempts, they will have no problem to turn on. What is issue here ?

Do you know how much it will cost ? Do I need to go to the dealer ? Dealer always cost more.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DNT1

Hard to turn on? Do you mean that the key is hard to turn in the ignition switch or that the engine barely turns over or what? Can you be a bit more specific about the problem?

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 2:13PM
yan19454

They can't turn the switch on. No electric equipment can't be on. It only happened two times after the accident happened more than one year. Thanks.

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 11:16AM
earthworm

I do not see any correlation between the accident and the ignition key switch engagement effectiveness.
As a guess, maybe one of the relays ?
Better guess , maybe the ignition switch on its way south.

You need a really experienced man, with a sensitive feel, to perform an accurate diagnosis...If the switch is turned 50% and the car springs to life, then, I think this is good..
If at 90% and the starter motor finally spins, then this is not so good..
And the repeatability must be at 100 %..

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 11:38AM
yan19454

But if you shake a little bit steer wheel, you can turn on, I am thinking the connection loose.

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 1:21PM
sdello

If the steering wheel and thus the steered wheels are turned sharply in one direction (as opposed to being straight) when the car is shut off, sometimes the steering locking mechanism will catch and prevent the ignition switch from turning. You need to physically move the steering wheel slightly in the opposite direction (you can feel the resistance or tension in the steering) before trying to turn the key.

Is this your problem?

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 1:30PM
More Discussions
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
want to purchase new Car
Hi guys .i want to purchase new car but I am confused..need...
Bill Payday
Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L Fire
Hi All, My Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L recently totaled...
mhs21
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™